Sams/Walmart house brands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 8, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Some time ago I posted recommending Sams/Walmart Coffee the Arabica blend.
    While the price has gone up on it and it is now barely less expensive than Folgers or Maxwell House regular or Breakfast Blends, it is FAR superior ... even better than the packaged ground Starbucks available in super markets for much more. It never 'turns' bitter and oily in the pot unless you leave it on the warmer for hours. I always transefer to an insulated carafe.

The next one I found is the Dishwasher Detergent. Wifey said she saw a tip to use a cheap DW detergent in laundry to whiten without bleaches. So I bought a 2 pack of Sam's house brand ..it's really inexpensive.

Ran out of preferrd DW soap so used it in the intended application and - bingo- works just as good as the 'Sunlight' we had been using. We had found Cascade, for instance to leave water spots if you dont use a rinse agent (convenient for Cascade, wot! )
    Since we see no reason to use a rinse agent if one brand doesnt need one, that has been our criteria. Note: This is because our city water is moderately 'soft'... About 8 grains, I think. YMMV, but at any rate if you MUST use a rinse agent, you can use less, or a cheaper one with Sunlight or Sam's house brand.

So add Members Mark/Great Value brand DW Detergent to the good as or better than list.

Next on the find is Paper Towels. ONLY had used Bounty. If you need a towel, you dont pull out a hanky which is all most Supermarket cheap towels are.. paper hankies.

Going through Sams to buy more Bounty, noticed an abandoned package of it on the house brand stack... right below that was a torn package and the paper towel pulled through. I felt and tore it a little then noticed the end on the Bounty package also torn.. someone else had compared them. So I did too. Results - you cant tell the difference.

so I can now recommend

Coffee {Arabica}
    DishWasher Detergent
    Paper Towels

As good as or better than leading brands.. and much greater value for money.

PLUS the company has a long-term promotion on CF lightbulbs... if you havent tried them lately, buy a few. They work much better than the first versions and they are quite a good value.

How's that Walmart Green promotion going? you ask:
    This is from http://www.slate.com/id/2175313/nav/ais/ which implies that some government dont seem to like THAT way of going green.

They would rather mandate it. I mean why acknowledge that market forces for conservation work best?

And of course collect some tariffs on the import of those money savers. Next best thing to taxes, you know.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sam's House Coffee stinks

.. temporarily. Smells 'burnt' - even fresh brewed.

I phoned their cust hotline and the agent said they're well aware of the problem and stocks should be switched out - back to old supplier - by Sept 1st and if you have cans from the bad batch, take them in for exchange.