Rogers v Beasley

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 7, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Come on.. I'm sure several of you have been considering that. And I sure do realize that it was only one game.... against a minnow, at that.

But I've tried hard to apply leavening to the consideration. On Rogers' side is tha fact I've yet to see him shut down, and nutmegged at that, by a rookie reserve player. And in the 08 MLS campaign shined consistently.. something Beasley did not do with the Fire.

On the other hand, Beasley's got the advantage of playing against some really tough guys. And Dempsey certainly disappeared for games at a time with the Revs. Key being that has become 'fewer and further between..'

I have to rate 'em about even at this time, with Bease maybe having the edge on ball possession but Rogers winning on being able to get the ball in to the sweet place.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Beasley is out of shape and -- perhaps -- at least partially permanently knackered by being kicked in the air in the SPL. I don't think we go backwards in HOPES that Beasley can find a club that allows him to play every week. Instead, I think we put our money on Rogers and see what he can do for us. Yes, it's one game, but you have to go back several years for a Beasley performance like that.

I like Da Beas, and I am happy to salute him for his services to the USMNT and to the American presence in Europe. He's had a hell of an international career, but I think it should be coming to an end.

Besides, I love hearing Sullavan call the pride of Columbus "Wobbie Wogers."

3. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I don't disagree that Robbie is the choice right now, but I just find it interesting that we're all writing Beasley off (and I include myself in this). Do you realize he's still just 27 years old? It feels like he should be 33 or something because he's been around so long and because he's been slowed by the injuries and lack of playing time......but really it's not inconceivable that he could recapture his form and have several good years left. He still should be in his athletic prime.

The big question is how bad a long-term effect the injuries will have. I think it's still too early to tell.

4. pettyfog

I'm sorry.. with all my caveat and second guessing, my point is that Beasley NEVER WAS ALL THAT GOOD!!!!
    Robbie MAY BECOME all that good but we cant know that yet.

Waiting and hoping for a never was to become as good again is pointless. I was just trying to be rational instead of paranoid and biased.
    There.. I dropped the other shoe.

5. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I can't speak for club play with any authority, but watching Beasley and Donovan play together in the 2002 world cup gave me hope for the future of US Soccer. I think Beasley is immensely talented and if he can clear up the nagging injuries he still will have a few good years ahead of him.

6. pettyfog

I can dig it that you look back almost seven years and use that as an example.. but let's get a little more current.. the Grenada match.

Case in point, the Robbie cross to Freddy crashing in the clear. While Adu wonks undoubtedly had an orgasm on that, Robbie simply was putting the ball where he would have in a Crew game circa 08. He would have expected Moffat or Gaven to be right where Freddy ended up.
    And for what it's worth neither Moffat or Gaven were selected for their national teams.. even the 'B' squads.

All credit to Freddy for reading the defense but who really shined on that, and would Bease have done the same?

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Never rated Robbie all that much, but he had a good match.......against GRENADA.

8. pettyfog

Nice affirmation of the point I made but what's YOUR view on the thread issue?
    And btw.. how the hell could you rate him at all if you never watched him?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love the "against Grenada" tag. Who else was he going to play against on the day?

I heard all that crap about Gooch as well: sure he looks good against CONCACAF minnows, but what about REAL teams. Well, lets look at Spain, Argentina, Italy, Egypt, Spain Brazil. But if his next game is against TNT I expect naysayers to say "he had a good match ... against TNT."

I think the kid is worth several good long looks. And to Nick's point, Beasley is moving like a beat up 35 year old, not a 27 year old pup. There's only so many minutes in those wheels, and getting the lumps kicked out of you for two seasons in Scotland doesn't help. If Beas had stayed in Holland -- where speedy wing play is to be admired as opposed to something to be stomped on -- he'd still be one of our top players. It's a shame that he moved from a 2nd level league to a 3rd level league that worked against his game.

And, 'fog. You have NEVER rated Beas. You thought he was overrated at Chicago, and regardless of the good things he did at PSV, Man City, and Rangers -- not to mention the USMNT -- you're not ready to go back on your original AND WRONG first opinion.

There. I've pissed off everybody in one post. Life's Good!

10. pettyfog

Ummm.. no.

Reread your own post, Don. I did. First time I caught intent.. second time I caught content.
    Thanks for making my point and proving me RIGHT!

A megagigantic, whopalozza..

heh
    Let's make it clear guys... when Robbie is picked up and goes on to bigger and better possibilities, I would be ALL FOR the Crew signing Beasley for say.. the approx quarter million he'd actually be worth in MLS. I would assume he would come in with some fire left in his belly and contribute, of course.

We are talking relative futures here.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
    :shock: Anyone here speak Pettyfog? :? A translation please on a postcard.

12. pettyfog

I meant you didnt piss me off.. you simply made a factual statement that I had always considered Beasley overrated; then in your supposed rebuttal, made the same arguments I have numerous times, including this one.. see my reference to 'streaky' and Dempsey.

What's not to understand?

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I've seen Robbie in some very short highlights (if you can call them that) of MSL matches. Never impressed much and seemed over-rated before.

I figure you see about equal to or less than that of European and South American football, so we'll just call it even.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Beasley will be back, and Beasley will be very good. Take it to the bank.

About this time next year I'll point this post out, ya hear.

15. pettyfog

Ugatta Deal!

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not going to pretend to have an opinion on Rogers, but this is his opportunity to get himself into the mix. As far as Beas, has he lost a step or not? he's a wisp and if that burst is gone so is he. Hard not to like Beas, but the point blank miss in the Gold Cup final (still not sure how he missed an open goal from 3 yards away) and the debacle v Brazil have made it very difficult to impossible to not look for other options.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Love ya Spencer. I pretty much said the same on another thread. You really are the Defender of the Faithful.

18. EricD

EricD New Member

I was happy to see Rogers play like he did in the U-20 World Cup. He can fly, and that creates a lot of problems for a defense.
    I think Beas is slowed by injuries/surgery recovery, etc... If he is not using his speed, I do not think he provides as much value as other mids with better possession skills.

19. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

Beasley- two things against DMB. Loss of confidence and high mileage body. Its not the age of DMB that is troublesome its the miles on the chassis. He has been playing for a long time on a very fragile frame. Confidence in sports is a funny thing... when you think you have lost it - you have!

Rogers has the skill set and needs improvement but im not looking for him to find something he lost, unlike DMB.

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Why doesn't someone point DMB in the direction of the nearest gym, and have him visit it 2-3 times a week and put 10 pounds of muscle on that frame? Some of the wear he has on him would be reversed -- not stopped, but reversed. He's be stronger, just as fast, and able to take some pounding.