Robbie Rogers Comes Out

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

And he is announcing his retirement at only 25 yrs of age. I'm really sad about the latter part (and if I was single and 25 yrs old, I'd be sad about the first part). After watching him play live in Columbus several times, I have always thought he was a far greater talent than most seem to think. At least that is one area where I agree with Klinsmann. This is what he wrote on his website. Best of luck to him for a future without the fears that have plagued him.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wow, saw Robbie Rogers and Out and assumed his was hurt again. Very courageous and obviously something he is totally at peace with and from reading that statement the weight of the world is lifted off his shoulders.

Very interesting topic since considering his age (didn't realize he was only 25) is retirement something he should be doing? There have been plenty of athletes that came out after their careers were over in terms of age, but is he retiring because of his litany of injuries or does he feel that he wouldn't be accepted on a professional team?? I would hope that in this day and age he wouldn't prohibited to work in his choice of profession.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Could not be happier for him that he has found peace with who he is. Wish he could continue his journey in soccer, but it looks he has moved on.

4. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Hopefully this decision is because he doesn't feel like he can play anymore and not because he feels like he won't be accepted. I know what he's going through and wish him the best of luck. I still hope for a day when openly LGBT people can play the games they love. It looks like we're nearing that future.

5. tim

tim Active Member

Hats off to him for a courageous move. I'll echo the sentiment that I hope he's taking this time because it's what he wants to do, not because he feels like playing isn't still an option. Fantastic to see public words of encouragement and support from the likes of Sacha Kljestan, Stu Holden and others.

It's worth noting (as some in the press did this morning) that, at 25, he could reasonably take a year or two off and still come back and play. I hope that's the case.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm proud of the kid for going public. I'm also proud of posts I've seen supporting him from Stuart Holden and US SOCCER. As to why he's hanging them up at 25, he couldn't get on the pitch for Stevenage. He has no future in world football, and I think he'd rather retire than be a less than mediocre winger.

Best of luck to the kid. Perhaps he'll get an opportunity to get into the broadcast booth.

7. Clevelandmo

To be fair, injuries are what prevented him from getting more time at Stevenage, and Leeds. The managers at both clubs (the guy at Stevenage used to be in MLS) were very complementary of him. And in the end, I now have to wonder if his decision to come out didnt start to factor in to his playing time.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

9. RDG

RDG Member

http://nyti.ms/11UhPUC

Above is the link to the NY Times interview. Reading their article about this on Friday, it seemed that a comeback to the MLS is not out of the question. That would be great.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

howdy..

As a long-time observer of human nature, I have the feeling he'll come back. Or try to. What most people don't get -especially some young'uns- is that those who are the most vociferous in their pointed homophobic remarks {as opposed to the typical LIB who assumes that's all racist Republicans, as opposed to their own which are of course 'just making a joke'} are those who aren't sure about themselves.
    - This became evident in the late seventies when several anti-homo preachers were caught out.
    When Robbie comes to that conclusion, he'll realize that it doesn't matter where he is, he's always gonna get his feelings hurt.

So regarding future team mates if any, all a Mgr has to do is tell his team that he will never see Robbie put a fist to someone's mouth. From the stands or from opponent on the pitch, it all comes with the territory and he should be used to some extent of ragging by now, anyway.

Here's something -NSR- I just ran across that Robbie ought to read to get some perspective:
    Being Gay at Jerry Falwell's University
    A former student's account of coming out at Liberty University

Not surprising to me, but seems to be for many.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think it's a question of the teammates nearly so much as the MLS being concerned with it's television coverage. Half of America thinks that soccer players and their fans are fags anyhow, and one of the reasons most cited for the failure of our two women's soccer leagues -- and the general lack of network interest in the WNBA -- is the relatively openness about alternative lifestyles. All we need is a few organizations getting their people to write letters to ABC/NBC/ESPN/FOX and MLS could be in serious trouble in terms of attracting sponsors.

No, you're going to need for the breakthrough to come in either MLB or the NFL. Even the right-wing "family-oriented" political pressure groups can't defeat the millionaires who own those clubs.

13. SoCalJoe

Was going to put this in the NBA thread, but I know many people aren't interested in that sport and would skip over it. Jason Collins is the first non-retired athlete in American teams sports to come out that he is gay. He's 34, and has been a journeyman center for his 12 plus seasons. He is a free agent and wants to keep playing so this is a story that will be interesting to follow. Bravo to him for the courage and he tells his story in this week's Sports Illustrated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazi ... &eref=sihp

14. Clevelandmo

Beat me to it Joe.

Much respect to Mr. Collins for doing this. Now it's Robbie's turn.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It was good to see Ernie Grunfeld and Doc Rivers being so positive and supportive. That's front office and management speaking. My biggest fear -- as it is with anything to do with the NBA is the Commish and, of course, TNT. The biggest reason nobody has come out in any of the major sports before is fear of loss of TV revenue if the sport gets identified as gay.

16. SoCalJoe

HD, I think the main reason no one has come out is how it would go over in the locker room. The fear of losing tv revenue isn't on the mind of the guy who is wondering if his livelihood is gone if he is ostracized and unaccepted by his teammates. Seeing TNT's commentators Charles Barkley and Shaq come out in support is telling in whether or not the channel is going to have a problem, it's by far their #1 rated programming and is the platform for that network. From a basketball standpoint, will anyone want to sign him? He is 34, averaged 1.1 points and 1.6 rebounds a game for one of the worst teams in the league. Realistically, the odds weren't in his favor of playing nest year even if yesterday's announcement didn't happen. What will be interesting is whether or not a player in his prime will now be fortified by Collins' actions to be the next.

17. SoCalJoe

The Chicago Fire hold his rights, so kind of surprising to hear that Rogers was at training ground with the Galaxy. Glad to hear his injury issues seem to be behind him and that he might me ready to 'un'-retire at age 25.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/la-galaxy- ... 20334.html

18. tim

tim Active Member

My only guess is he has a good relationship with Bruce Arena, and looking for a place to train, started there. Here's hoping he finds himself well, fit, and ready to go, wherever he ends up.

19. Clevelandmo

Robbie moved back to CA and in his first interview after coming out said maybe he would ask Arena if he could train with the Galaxy. Arena then extended an open invitation saying Robbie is always welcome. So this is just Robbie wanting to get in shape and training with the Galaxy due to geography and friendship/trust reasons (this part happened before Collins coming out). I think he will play in MLS again and hopefully for the USA. Cant wait to see how good he is with this burden off his shoulders. The talent was there for all to see. I'm also not sure of the situation with Chicago. While they traded for the right of first refusal, does that apply when someone terminated/let their contract expire? Also, I bet MLS will do what it has to do in terms of team signings to make Robbie happy about where he plays next. Is it fair, not really, but did any of us have any doubts someone would make sure McBride ended his career in Chicago like he wanted?

Meanwhile gay British and former NBA player has this to say about the premier league.
    http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=U1qJqzc8

20. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I've got to side with Fog here to a point. I wasn't remotely surprised by the support Collins received after coming out. It's just where we are as a society. Aside from those with deeply held religious convictions (and even a significant percentage of them), most people have no issue with this topic and those that do have softened their stance on it. I imagine it comes down to so many having come out and the fact that most of us know not just one, but several people who practice an alternative lifestyle and have discovered they're just as good (or bad) of people as everyone else we know. Gay marriage seems to draw more ire but even that seems to be waning in the last couple of years. Don's not alone in assuming the worst from those he thinks he disagrees with though. The media seems just as surprised by not only the absence of pushback but by the support Collins has received. Shame on them, maybe they'll learn something about assuming ignorance perceived by their own ignorance.

The tv argument is ridiculous and backs up Fog's point. There are gays and lesbians all over tv. From actors & actresses, to tv hosts, to characters in a large number of shows. Why on earth would tv care if a sports league had a gay/lesbian player and base it's coverage on that? No, the WNBA and women's soccer fail b/c they are in competition with superior products. Basketball is basketball and you've got the NBA, college, women, women's college, etc all competing for money. Most folks are going to follow the best and interest will trickle to the others, in large part, based on their quality, locality and the dilution of the product through the number of offerings in that category. It's no different with minor leagues or MLS's place in the soccer landscape. Women's pro sports are simply too far down the ladder. As for Stern, the NBA has been at the forefront on all things tolerance, as evidenced by his comments on this.

In the 80's Martina Navritilova came out and lost all of her sponsorships. But you'd have to have had your head under a rock to not see the change in societal acceptance on this issue in the 3 decades since. In fact, I'd say it's a bit overdue and that someone could have probably come out successfully in a major sport as far back as a decade ago. At least, here in the States.