RNC Nightmare Scenario?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jan 9, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Let's try this again: :( Damn mouse killed it just as I was posting!

Back when I was barely in highschool, there was a legendary race for Governor of California. It was legendary because it was a choice among THREE viable candidates -- all of whom were great campaigners and fundraisers. It was 1962 and the candidates were former governor Pat Brown [Jerry's daddy], former governor Goodwin Knight, and former senator, vice-president and future president Richard Nixon.

These days, all that's remembered is Dick Nixon's concession speech, and his petulant comment to the CA press: "You won't have Dick Nixon to kick around any more, because I'm through with politics. This is my last news conference."

But what made the race as interesting -- as my then-CA resident brother put it -- as a strip poker game with Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, and Gina Lollabrigeda was the fact that the traditional CA kingmakers didn't have a clue who to write checks for. Knight and Brown WERE the Republican and Democratic fund-raising champs, and RMN was the most famous Californian in the world [who didn't play sports or act in movies].

I'm reminded of this because of yesterday's NH primary. If there exists any two words that, when even whispered, can get fat-cat rich Republicans to start writing checks, those two words are HILLARY CLINTON. A very close second place in the Oh my god, it's that scary Hillary-stakes for Republicans, it's JOHN MCCAIN.

It's already been proven that the base of the Republican party doesn't get excited about John McCain except in a negative way. Remember that George W. Bush was identified early in 2000 as the main way to keep McCain off the ticket. Once the party coalesced around an alternative to the Arizona senator, big bucks flowed in.

So, what if we wind up with a McCain v. Clinton matchup in November? Sure, the fat cats that keep the RNC's cash registers ringing hate Hillary, but they really mistrust John McCain.

Not saying that it'll turn out to be those two -- probably won't since each is the most qualified candidate in his/her party -- but it's fun to ponder.

:D

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Except for his brand of Christianity (which may be a real problem for some in the GOP), I have to think the extremely slick and most definitely fake, Mitt Romney, will be who the RNC gets behind.

They don't like Huckleberry because he is perhaps too genuine and honest about many things, including the possibility of raising taxes. And they don't like McCain for the many reasons you point out and then some. And Giuliani's one-trick pony is nearly a dead horse.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh... 'fat-cats'... amazing the denial from a nominal Dem. Have you had your Soros today?

The REAL reason most conservatives {I cant speak for RNC} dont trust McCain is that he doesnt THINK before he acts when dealing with Dems... and the McCain/Feingold act is the Gold Example... directly led to MORE campaign financing problems.

Good try, PCB.. the Huck is 'honest'?!!!!. I have no doubt he's genuine but he ISNT exactly 'honest'.
    the Huckster - said it before, I'll say it again.. if I wanted Clintons, I'd vote for Hillary.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: RNC Nightmare Scenario?

I don't buy that for a second. Hard line conservatives don't like McCain because he's too liberal, just like hard line liberals don't like Clinton or Lieberman because they're too conservative.

5. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: RNC Nightmare Scenario?

I only know what I read, both in fact and between the lines. McCain is NOT seen as TOO liberal, based on his position statements.
    And BTW... I DONT take blog commenters into account. They're all over the place on him. MOST of THOSE who crticize him have his positions and record all wrong.

I dont care about ANYTHING but his attempts at consensus building, besides the above example the hispanic illegals issue with Ted Kennedy, NO Repub should ever again team up with Teddy on ANY domestic issue... he's a liar and a cheat.
    And how can I be AGAINST McCain when he's one of the few Republicans that can actually win... I'm nominally for Fred, but I accept he aint got a chance.
    Believe me, if McCain pulls away with the primary voters, the RNC will back him 100%.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: RNC Nightmare Scenario?

This is newsworthy... how, exactly?

7. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: RNC Nightmare Scenario?

Uh... maybe it addresses the OP in the topic? As for financing, there's plenty of ways to do it, Ron Paul showed that.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, sure; they'll back whoever gets the nod. But there won't be the cash enthusiasm for a McCain candidacy. Not the flurry of writing that gay marriage and flag burning brought GWB. I see a lot of sitting back and watching in a McCain v. Hillary election.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

But Don, if that happens where will there be room for the 'change we can believe in'?

And with all the change hoopla, the first candidate to use "winds of change" as their campaign song has my vote.

10. pettyfog

Heh... we're forgetting one of the prime rules of presidential politicking.

Most of that 'change' rhetoric is gonna disappear after the conventions. Then we fall back to the basic lies.. er.. memes.

Remember '06 and the Dem promises to 'root out corruption'.

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I remember... I think the bitch from hell took speaker of the house sometime around then... I remember hearing something about bringing the troops home, rooting out corruption, and checking power in the executive branch...

Yeah, she did a great job...

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Huckaby. He might be ok, if he weren't a proponent of the "Fair Tax", which replaces Income Tax with a 30% Sales Tax. For that reason alone, he's the candidate, from either party, I am most against.

Romney. He's got the chops to do the job and would be effective domestically, but his foreign policy would be too much of what we've had the last 8 years. His religion will have some voter impact during the primaries, especially down South, but he's conservative enough that I can't see that segment of the voters "letting" the Dems win states they otherwise wouldn't.

McCain. He knows Washington, but there are some questions.
    1) Has he established himself as too much of a maverick for the Republicans in Congress to get behind him?
    2) Who does he pick as VP, since his age will be an issue?
    3) He is a strong labor union supporter, how will that impact GOP voting?

Clinton. I believe that she would be effective in office, and would make some positive changes in domestic and foreign policy, but I fear her social agenda and her ability to push it through while holding office.

Obama. I don't think he's ready yet, not having had enough experience in government or business to be effective in the job. I don't fear his vision so much as the chaos that would ensue when he naively tried to implement it. He'd could be a solid VP, though.

I'm a registered Democrat, so get to vote in the Maryland Primary, if it still matters by then - I have no idea yet who'd I'd pick between the two.

Come Election time, my only certain vote is against Huckaby; if he's not in the running then I don't know... I may have to pray about it or something.... definitely a "Lesser of Two Weevils" for me as none of the candidates have my "unique" combination of Socially Conservative, Foreign Policy Moderate, and Economic Liberal.