RIP Flip Saunders

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 25, 2015.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Rarely in today's sports world are you truly shocked, but the passing of Minnesota T-Wolves President and Head Coach Flip Saunders from complications due to Hodgkin's Lymphoma stunned me. The last I read was that his condition was very treatable and he would be ready to go by the start or early into the season. I'm sure Encore can expand on what it's like in Minneapolis.

Flip was 'Mr. Ohio' has a HS player, a 4 year starter at the University of Minnesota, and only 1 of 10 coaches ever to coach teams from both the West and East to the Conference Finals, and he was in the process of rebuilding the Wolves in his second stint with the team. The image of Kevin Garnett sitting in front of his empty parking spot (see attached) is very poignant. RIP Flip.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...wolves-coach-flip-saunders-dies-cancer-age-60

nevzter likes this.
  2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

3. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

The city, entire state for that matter, is in shock. There is a dark cloud hanging over Minneapolis right now as people are in a fog over what they just heard. Heck, I'm still in shock and just gutted.

Flip was adored by everyone in the state and even when they let him go the first coaching go around, the fans still loved him. I mean, the Wolves game him complete control of the entire franchise on his return trip, which is, as you all know, extremely rare in the NBA...that's how much they thought of him professionally. And I, for one, can't wait to see the tribute during the Wolves home opener.

Personally, Flip endeared himself to pretty much everyone he met, the players, fans, media, etc. Flip may not have been from Minnesota, but as soon as he became a Gopher and showed the state his tremendous work ethic and drive, well, he became a Minnesotan. The state of Minnesota loved him and he loved us right back. We lost a great human being yesterday, but we are richer for the experience of having him be in a brief part of our lives.

nevzter, AggieMatt and SoCalJoe like this.
  4. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

SoCalJoe likes this.