Resting Players in the Europa League

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Russell, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

I watched the match yesterday and was happy with the win, but also had questions regarding the media's perception of Fulham resting players for this match.

The commentators of the game kept mentioning that some English Teams in the past did not put there best side out there for a game in Europe. They were pretty critical of Roy's starting team. It seemed they were disappointed that Clint Dempsey, Damien Duff, and Brede Hengeland were on the bench and not starting. They don't see the purpose of resting certain players during a Europa League match. Under the circumstances with 3 members suspended for the game we did not have our best team out there.

However, I personally agree with Roy's starting team. I think we are deeper than we are portrayed in the media. I keep hearing we have a small side without much depth. I think yesterday proved we have more depth than the media thinks. Players such as Riise,Smalling, and Kelly were able to fill in well. I know Chris Smalling had the handball but that call could have gone either way. Riise and Kelly I think were both excellent.

I want Fulham to win in the Europa League as much as anyone. I do think the EPL has to come first. Ask yourself would you rather have Fulham beat Manchester United or Basel? I will take my chances with my best team against Manchester United. Again I think Roy did the right thing and we advanced.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good observations and good questions. For me, the answer is that Roy has a first team squad that he's comfortable choosing among. He has his reasons for starting certain players in certain matches and his reasons are sound. I'll be darned if I can figure out a single BEST XI for Roy, and I'm happy with whoever he puts out there.

As for Dempsey, there was an article early in the week where Roy talked about his and Bob Bradley's efforts to ensure that Deuce didn't get burned out by too many minutes. He played all last summer and will have the World Cup this coming summer. If Deuce is sitting down, it's because Roy is interested in the long run for both player and country -- even if his resting Clint means a better performance for him against England in South Africa.

As for the announcers [and I didn't hear or see the match], they're going to thing that the Europa League match is most important because they're broadcasting it. They're going to criticize Dempsey's exclusion because they can hear American television sets switching off because an American isn't playing. That's why we know more about Fulham and Hodgson than they do.

Roy puts out a team each match day that he feels has an opportunity to get a result. That's fine with me.

3. Russell

Russell New Member

I also read about Clint Dempsey that there is some kind of deal to keep him rested. This rest would benefit Fulham and the U.S. National Team. He has played a ton of games this year so I wasn't shocked he didn't start.

I have to give Roy a ton of credit because this year he can mix and match his starting team between both competitions. Last year he basically had the same team from match to match.

On a separate note I really liked what I saw from Riise and Kelly. I would like to see both of them get some more action in the EPL.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I know if you're old school that the "they make 25k a week, they should be able to play 2 matches a week" argument comes into play, but it's not if they can play, but it's if their level of play diminishes. Clint frankly needed a break.

One of Roy's strenghts is his ability to get the most out of his players and furthermore develop them. You don't do that by playing reserve matches only. Between needed rest, injuries, and suspensions that was the best 11 out there and the result showed it.