Remembering D-Day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Great speech. Thanks for sharing.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and I hate to give Hollywood too much due, but today would be a good day to rent and watch The Longest Day.

I don't know how many of you have visited the beaches where the landing occurred, but I was there at low tide, and I have no idea how anyone made it off that beach alive. Thanks again to the greatest generation -- I'm talking to you, Pop [even though your war was in the Pacific].

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Don my grandfather was in the Pacific. What did your Pop do there?

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I love "The Longest Day" - that, the "The Battle of Britain" and "The Dam Busters" are my fav WW2 films.

I hang my head in shame for not realising that yesterday was the aniversary of D-Day. I hang my head in shame that there was no mention on the news and that as a country the UK seems to only remember this increadible effort once every 10 years.

I recently finished reading "The Victors" a Stephen Ampbrose book that started off with the build up to D-Day. While it centred on PIR, I thought it was mostly a balanced account of the period - and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was nice to contrast the point of view of an American author with several accounts of British authors.

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

GBF my feelings as well, about the shame I guess of not realizing what day it was and that I had to come to the FulhamUSA site to be reminded that it was indeed D-Day yesterday...thanks to Mo.

When I think about D-Day, it always brings images of my grandfather who fought in Italy and was at the beach (as small as it was) at Anzio. Another very difficult landing and task. He never complained and was honored to serve. I always admired and respected him for it.

7. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Band of Brothers is by far the best war series ever done, I can watch it over and over again.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This was the 64th anniversary of D-Day and, to be fair, on landmark anniversarys 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 there were big doings about it. This year, the landmark anniversary on June 6 was the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy.

Here's the thing, next year I will have forgotten the June 6 kennedy connection, but I'll never forget the D-Day connection.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dont think you will ever again see the memorialization of D-day as it's been done in the past. Not even on the decades.

There's a reason for that, IMO - which is based on my view of human nature.

As all the old guys die off, the press and the historians will sublimely torque the issues and facts around it. Only those movies mentioned will keep the stories of sacrifice alive.

What we have to guard against is people like Pat Buchanan trivializing the whole thing over one issue.

Or Spike Lee over another.....

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I was tied up most of the weekend, so a belated thank you for all those who went to that beach 64 years ago.