Rebecca Aguilar - scapegoat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 21, 2007.

?

What was the proper KDFW response for the incident?

1. Her suspension is about right

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. She should be fired

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Whoever approved (or didnt review) the interview should also get the same punishment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

From the blog comment I've read over the last couple days I thought the KDFW reporter, who ambush-interviewed the 70 yo who has shot and killed two burglars in the last year, must have been a bitch on wheels.

Then I watched this

I think she got suspended for two mistakes she made:

"Are you a trigger happy man?"
    and
    Crowding him, ie; inside his open car door.

Otherwise I dont believe that her tone in the interview or her body language is overly aggressive or dismissive of his side in the story.

She was NOT harrassing the man, and she left in his statement of anguish about the killings, so that rules out 'despicable' spin.

She could have mitigated the perception by simply changing the wording a little to "Do you consider yourself a trigger happy man?"
    And by facing him on the same level.. which would be obviously stooping.. rather undignified, of course.

The main problem is, according to many and I agree, that she shouldnt have stood alone in this. Either someone approved the thing for airing as it was, or didnt review it at all. Whichever the case that person should serve the same suspension.

What do you think?

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Dammit, I wrote a thoughtful respone and when I vote it disappeared. Dont have time to rewrite it.