Rant...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Sep 1, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I've had enough of the official board and the whining, moaning, pricks that randomly come on there to spew their venom. They complain about EVERTHING, leaving nothing untouched...as if nothing can good enough for them. Keeping Boa, Steed and Diop...not enough. :roll:

Signing 4 players this summer is not enough and they moan about them before they have seen them play...hilarious. I have my complaints about FFC but who doesn't have something to complain about their club?

The level of negativity is astounding and now the british media is feeding off the fact that attendances at football matches are down. In turn, this is feeding fuel to the fire of the supposed 'fans' who think they know what is best of the club on the pitch...ugh.

Ok, I'm done.

2. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Admittedly, I was expecting a pettyfog-like rant that went on and on for 1,000+ words... I think there's far more that you could vent... c'mon Mike... let it all out!

3. americanmike

Trust me, I could go on...

Actually, the problem with many of our fans is that they do not trust Cookie, or the Directors, or MAF. They think they have been swindled?! Haha, I spoke with a Fulham fan the other day...he's been supporting since 1948 and finds it embarrasing that so many fans feel they are 'owed' something from the club.

"Who do they think they are?", he says to me. "If was their money going in to the club, they would do what MAF is trying and that is straighten out the books. He has done wonders for the club but realizes that his dreams from the beginning will never happen and that comes down to the fan base. We should all swallow the fact that we will never be a 'big' club and we are who we are...Fulham Football Club. Sadly, for some, that is 'not good enough'.

Discuss...

4. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

Maybe there is something about the club that attract masochistic types who love to wallow in sorrow and depression. They dread success because would give them less to be negative and depressed about. Somewhat like many pre-2004 Red Sox fans. My guess though is that Fulham has no more of those fans than any other club - they are just disproportionately represented on the Official Messageboard.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: Rant...

I can't speak for all Red Sox fans, but I'll try. Are you kidding? Dread success? No way. Red Sox fans complained because they saw no end to their misery and were completely fustrated by bad trades, horrible management, and unbelieveable chokes that could only be explained by a "curse." That and our rivals kept winning and sticking it in our faces with "1918" chants. That I believe is what some Fulham fans are going through right now. They're not afraid of success, they're desperate for it. And that's the problem, they want success right now. That's not happening anytime soon. Mo is not going to be pumping any more of personal finances into the club, if I understand the situation correctly. I think he put quite a bit of his own money in, and might have borrowed against his Harrod's store. I don't think he wants to sell any of his store to pay off any debt (especially for football club), so he's trying to get the club to pay for itself. Well, Fulham are a small club with a small stadium--the money is not there to compete with the big boys of the Premiership, at least not right now. The best we can hope for is a possible place for an European competition. Unfortunately, that's not good enough for some people and they want to take their fustrations out on the management/ownership.
    All I can say to those "fans" is when or if a club like Fulham or the Red Sox win it all, it makes it so much sweeter than a 'favorite' winning. There is nothing like watching a team you followed for years, through all the crap you've endured as a fan from other fans or media, watching games in pouring rain, to the joy (or heatbreak) of late game dramatic wins, and watching them win the big one. I think I might have cried tears of joy for about two hours after the Red Sox won.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Rant...

Well... see what happens when you are GIVEN something instead of earning it the 'hard way'!

What if Chelsea should fall under the same paradigm... Heh.

Of course I hear you, Mike. But you notice I wised up LAST year. Many of these guys dont really know Soccer inside out, they just like to think they do. At the end they are no better than Buckeye fans.

PS: You note I thought (and sometimes wished) Cookie would get the axe last season? No more. I am impressed with how he's handling what he's got. Rest of my thoughts are on next thread down.

7. americanmike

Re: RE: Re: RE: Rant...

I almost understand where they come from...Fulham has had such an up and down history that many fans were relieved when Al Fayed took over. Now, many are scared that this is the start of a long trend down but there is no excuse for this level of negativity.

Many forget where Fulham was just 8 years ago. I mean, thats part of the reason I love this club. They were in the bottom of the bottom 8 years ago and now they are living a dream...but like you say, many fans have become spoiled rotten!

I wouldn't give up being a Fulham fan for anything, there is never a dull day.

8. DCDave

DCDave Member

I was never impressed with the posters on the official board. I give you credit, Mike, for sticking it out this long, especially the way some of those morons treated you. Not to mention how infrequently the posts are actually about Fulham football.

My guess is that they (the official board posters) do not represent the typical Fulham fan no more than a lot of people who post on web sites. Among the many things I admire about the FUSA boards is the quality of the posts. I may not agree with every post here but I respect them. My guess is that our board is closer to what the average fan is like. Loyal, wanting to give the team the benefit of the doubt, frustrated at times (and willing to express that frustratsed in a reasonable way) but very happy when we play like last Saturday.

9. americanmike

You are 100% right Heather, that board is not what the majority of the fans are like.

In all honesty, I will probably always be part of that board and reason for that is two fold:
    1) I have met some of the most amazing people through it, of which, they will be life long friends.
    2) I will not let the moaners win, too many 'good' fans have been chased away and thats exactly what some of those idiots want.

10. misswitch2

misswitch2 New Member

Heather, you're observations on what is happening with the club are completly correct. This however, has absoloutly no bearing on the attitude that is taken in the official banterdome.

The message board is where Fulham fans congregate between matchdays. It is a social circle in itself where the main topic of conversation is football.
    The messageboard is there for people to debate and discuss their 'opinions'. That's exactly what they are, opinions.

You cannot change what people think about their club. It is from what they have experienced. How they percieve life in general is reflected in the posts that they put. There are negative people on that board. But wouldn't the board be very boring if it was full of happy people with absoloutly no negative opinions about the club?

Trust me, i can put my hand on my heart and be the first to say that the board has had a DIRECT impact on my life. I have had many a time when a certain yank has spent a long time on the phone to me telling me to not get so wound up with it, but at the end of the day i know how i feel about my club and i also know that the doomers and gloomers and the idiots that have taken personal attacks on me and matters that affect me are just insignificant in comparison to what this club and the MB has given me.

11. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

When I was a kid, we use to dread Saturday nights when my brother came home from the game. We would check the scores on the tele, "oh dear, they lost again". My bro would be p!ssed. Then the really rough times when it was almost certain that Fulham was going under (and the newspapers reported it as fact - they were going to 'merge' with QPR). My bro had his picture (with others) on the front of the Daily Telegraph (big English newspaper) protesting on the Thames to save Fulham. After being bought by MAF, he did lose some interest with all the money being poured in - Fulham had just started to get on a roll before he bought them. He doesn't go to all the away games like he use to (more due to having 2 little ones though), but still makes all the home games. The money that has entered the game has taken the shine off the game for him. What has this got to do with the FFC messageboard? I don't know, its early and a need a coffee!

By the way...How does anyone get any work done at work with this quality website? I can't help it, but I have to keep checking it 50 times a day at work!!!! I can't think of a Fulham website that comes even close to the quality of this one with all the articles, forum, etc. As for the official forum, I don't know why anyone posts on that thing, an absolute waste of time in my opinion.

12. pettyfog

Yep, posting your opinion is a waste of time.. but it's sorta like a dog marking his turf. Sometimes it just has to be done

OTOH, the wit occasionally displayed is brilliant. EG; th ecurrent post of "Michael Owens' secret diary" though as usual it's not clear whether it's cut and paste or original.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: Rant...

I just pray it is a slow day at work. Unfortunately in the kind of work I do, you just never know what kind of a work load you will have until that day. I know what you mean though RedCoat. I am always checking in on the site and seeing what people have written about particular topics.

Thanks for the kind words about the site by the way, but I honestly do not think it would be the same without the posts and thoughts of everyone together. Collectively it makes for some lively and wonderful conversation on here. It is great that people are enjoying the site!!!

14. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rant...

see, my point exactly, just made a post, tried to get back to some work, then in pops an e-mail, "FulhamUSA topic replied to...", now how to post again... the vicious cycle begins again...

15. pettyfog

Uh... turn off the email notifier.
    ;)

Seriously....I dont even work in an office environment anymore but find thsoe bothersome as that is the default option in some forums.

16. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I was ousted from the official board a long....long time ago

To be honest though, the way its set up is difficult to read...my eyes go cross and I have a seizure...so its probably best that I don't go there anymore.