Premiership Transfer Summer 2007

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoTom, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, I thought I would start this thread with regards to all the transfers this summer that have to do with teams within the Premiership.

My guess is that there will be few, if any, bigger than this first one in which Thierry Henry has reportedly signed with Barcelona for 16 million pounds. This is being reported out of various Spanish news agencies.

While any trip to play Arsenal is NOT easy, not having to worry about Henry on August 11th will make things a bit easier for Fulham.

Here is a link to the story from FoxSoccer.com:

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6912488

2. jmh

jmh New Member

I still haven't seen anything official on this. Barça do need to add depth up front, with Saviola probably gone and Eto'o missing time for the African Nations, but I'd have expected them to be looking for someone younger than Henry.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm sorry to see him go; he's a work of art and he has graced the league. He was also in town until last week. He's great buds with Tony Parker.

By the way, ChiTom, last season when Henry was in the lineup: FFC 2 ArseHole 1
    When he was NOT in the lineup: ArseHole 3 FFC 1

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, this thread did not get much mileage this summer, but I will make one more attempt......Sunderland signed Craig Gordon for a club record 9 million pounds. While Gordon is only 24 and is a solid keeper, I am shocked at the amount of money they threw at a keeper. If I am not mistaken that is a record fee that any club paid for a keeper.

A lot of pundits, whom I think are just guessing, think Sunderland has done well this summer and will be safe come the end of the season and NOT get relegated. I, on the other hand, think Sunderland is NOT very good and I could care less who their manager is, they still stink.

Thus, don't let anyone kid you, Sunderland is going nowhere fast. Their last two campaigns in the Premiership were two of the worst in Premiership history by any club. They have splashed some cash this summer, but not enough to get this team to stay up. Down, down, down, Sunderland goin' down!!!

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Manchester City's signings interest me more than any other. They could turn out to be pretty good, some of them.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

They could turn out to be pretty good, but they could also turn out to be pretty bad. I have a hard time thinking all the new Italians Sven has brought in will adapt quickly to the rugged Premiership. I am NOT saying the team will suck, but my guess is that they will start slow and get better as the season goes on.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In all the flurry of signings in SW6 I completely forgot about this thread. It's interesting how pre-season injuries can change the complexion of your side. I thought that Everton did well NOT to bring in a lot of players this summer, and then Cahill went down again, and it reminded me how critical Cahill and Arteta are to that side. Not that I give a crap about those toffee-noses, but I think they're going to struggle this year BECAUSE they didn't go after more folks.

Just goes to show you.

So, aside from us, who's the big winner in the summer sweeps, and who's the big loser? My vote:

Big winner: Citeh
    Big loser: a tie between Arsenal and Wigan

9. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Newcastle have impressed me with their signings this summer. They've signed proven premier league players along with some foreign zest to the kettle.

Ins:
    Mark Viduka (free), Joey Barton (£5.8m), David Rozehnal (£2.9m), Geremi (Chelsea), Alan Smith (£6m), Claudio Cacapa (free), Jose Enrique (V£6.5m).

The Magpies have splashed the same amount of funds as Fulham and have twice the quality in their 7 signings. I know that Fulham can't handle those players wages, but it must be said that Big Sam has done a fantastic job in his first transfer window with Newcastle.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't want them to be TOO bad, because it would be bad for Tim Howard's continued development, but if they dropped to the point where they were below us in the table, so be it. 8)

11. cartmanxxl

cartmanxxl New Member