Political Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 30, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Just in time for this point in the election process, a new book:

Political Hypocrisy: The Mask of Power, from Hobbes to Orwell and Beyond

IOW: Which 'hypocrisy' matters, and which doesn't matter so much. And is it not truth the FIRST deep glance should be toward the one who says "I am not a hypocrite" the loudest.

h/t: as often, Glenn Reynolds, Instapundit

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I don't see how anyone can come under such scrutiny and not look like, or be shown to be, a hypocrite. Let's face it, takes one to know one. And we all know one.

3. pettyfog

Re: RE: Political Hypocrisy

Which, of course, is the point. What does that say about MSM which gave Obama a pass in the early on? Certainly some of the skeletons were revealed in the Chicago local press. No one paid attention.

Of course, Hillary's are well documented, which gives some level of comfort.... we knew who she was, and could expect her to act accordingly.
    And we already knew McCain was pretty kind-hearted gullible. He's living up to expectations.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Political Hypocrisy

They were too idealistic. BUT, would you rather have a world full of people who don't ever try to have hope in a better government and the person who leads it?

You can sign me up for the idealistic realist perspective. I aspire, and hope others do (until they prove or others prove otherwise), to many ideals that are tempered with the realistic view that those ideals may never be met, but are worth TRYING to achieve.

Which seems to be part of Runciman's view also.

Obama is not a bad person (or politician), he was just projected by the media in such a favorable light without enough information, that it formed the pedestal he had no choice but be knocked off of.

Now that we know he is human, do we consider his goal of trying to achieve lofty ideals enough to overcome our cynicism??

5. pettyfog

Former DNC Chair Switches Support From Clinton to Obama

This is very significant. The guy isnt going for the best candidate, but to limit damage to the party. And he's right.

The PROBLEM is he's doing it backwards, though I understand that he's trapped into it.

Despite Spencer's protestations, there's plenty of grist -based on fact- yet to come that will embarrass Barack.

And BTW: Lest you think I'm piling on due to affiliation, forget it! Both Obama and Clinton are running their campaigns/issues far better than McCain and the RNC.