Playing the Race Card

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 25, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Oh, boy.. this is going to be tough to keep on here, as it seems destined to break my own rules.

But.. the race card has been dealt and it's face up, everyone is either trying ignore drawing to it or ignoring the one who holds it.

Clintons ... have skillfully steered the nomination campaign toward race

Personally, I dont think there ever was a doubt that it would be played, or who would play it. Obviously, it would ONLY happen if destiny was in danger.. but that happened.

Let's keep it civil, kids.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

According to the reporter, "the race card" has been played because the Clintons are not softballing Obama, and are even having the temerity to say that she might be able to do more for the voting block the two candidates are contesting. Rubbish! This comes nowhere near "playing the race card." It is the job of primary candidates to convice as many voting blocks as possible that they're better off with candidate A rather than candidae B. That's all Obama and Clinton are doing. Do they dislike each other? Probably, but who gives a rap? I don't think that Senator McCain likes Governor Romney much either, but who gives a rap?

Criticizing the record, performance, or statements of an African American opponent is not racist. Refusing to do so because the opponent is an African American IS racist.

Criticizing the record, performance, or statements of a female opponent is not sexist. Refusing to do so because the opponent is a woman IS sexist.[i[/i]

3. pettyfog

Aha... Quoted, {locked} and bookmarked!
    Why would I do that? Because Don is 100% right and on-target!

I have a feeling that might come in handy, later, in keeping 'on-topic'.

Let's argue on the merits.. and those INCLUDE 'gender' and 'race' preference of voters.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Fog, I'm confused. The article you linked is very vague about what the Clintons actually did to steer the discussion towards race. Would you care to elaborate?

5. pettyfog

No he isnt... that's what the article is about and the beauty of it. "No Fingerprints"

Have you been on mars or something? Obama didnt bring it up!

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Bill Clinton is probably better at politics than anyone alive today.

However, race has been an issue from day 1 of the Obama campaign - maybe not for the candidates but for the media and voting public.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Are we talking about the thing about LBJ and MLK Jr.?

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Saw on the news this morning, another poll, on NBC.

Whites (maybe just the males) voting in South Carolina:

Obama 10%
    Clinton 36%
    Edwards 40%

If it was just the males, says more about South Carolinians. If ALL the whites voting (including females), and you take polling somewhat seriously, says something more about perception.

9. pettyfog

First: never take polling seriously. Especially when you're asking Dem voters... that's not a slap, that's a fact. The exit polls show closer to results among Repubs than Dems.

But I find that discouraging as well as fascinating. Two reasons:

Obama so low - does that mean they dont think he's electable?

Edwards so high - the guy that TRULY has NEVER DONE ANYTHING.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Edwards is a local boy; that means more in some parts of the county.

11. pettyfog

John Edwards.. 'a heartbeat away'.

{shiver}

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

is your finger hovering over that button? Physician ....

13. pettyfog

Get serious, Don. You know I'm right. You dont want him in there any more than I do.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was talking about your "No Flaming or 'button pushing'" admonishment. Seems you're close to violating your own edict. I mean, you changed a thread title that was considerably more innocuous than "John Edwards, a heart beat away [shiver]" on the basis of that rule.

I was only concerned about the button pushing. Feel free to be as flaming as you like. Here's some inspiration! :banana: :banana: :banana:

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

The media's largely to blame. CNN has been running and talking about "race & politics" and over analyzing every damn comment by anyone who has a step sister associated with either campaign seemingly every day since New Hampshire. Honestly I don't know how much of this was premeditated by the Clintons and how much of it was luck but don't think for a second that they mind. To my knowledge the Clintons have yet to sink to the levels of swift boating and illegitimate love child whisper campaigns but they’re pretty damn ruthless themselves. It’s notable that CNN has run with this more than MSNBC or Fox. The more it’s brought up the more Obama is hurt and CNN is after all the Clinton News Network.

Could just be me thou, I do have a horse in this race and it aint Hillary 8)

That said it is a huge issue. I personally ponder race and class and there implications or perhaps lack of implications all the time. Every culture in the world seems to struggle with race. It was bound to come up. Now that is has it’s not going away and it looking unfortunately like it may be Obama's death nail.

16. pettyfog

Jake Tapper, on ABC News blog:

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I just now saw Obama's answer the "Bill Clinton being the first black president" question and found myself cringing when he said he'd have to investigate his dancing ability. Sounds to me as if Obama is the one who has really played the race card.

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Mo, just from what you've added to this site in your limited time here, I know you are not so naive to not know by now that there is a double-standard that is in effect when it comes to what white and black people can say about black people. It's actually more than that, if you are nearly any minority you can usually get away with saying more potentially egregious things than white people. It doesn't bother me.

BUT, I bet Obama may reconsider saying that if given the opportunity again. Then again, maybe not. He blew the doors off South Carolina.

The question is how that played to Blacks all over America, not in SC. My guess is most chuckled and let it pass.

"Clinton was our first black President." Bet everyone wishes that association never saw the light of day.

19. pettyfog

I'll give Obama a pass on that if it's in the same tone as his previous retorts.

Mo...I hope you realize that comparing Obama to Jackson is an insult. Yeah, even among many blacks.

A politician, even from the Chicagoland firm, against a protection racketeer?

20. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The Clintons have been playing the race card since New Hampshire. They're wanting Obama to act "black" and look like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, because America hates the black who screams victim.

Bill Clinton comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson is straight-up playing the race card. Absolutely shameful.

The Clintons are horrible and Hillary shouldn't be the first woman President. Her campaign is bascially down to "I am a woman and I'm not black".