PF Rant of the Day: GA sex offender laws

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 21, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Read this: sex law gone awry

Not that I usually put much credence in anything from the Atlanta Urinal-Constipation but this has bugged me for a long time**. Georgia has some of the WORST sex offender laws in the nation.
    The reason they are so bad is that they dont distinguish between hardened perverts and teen-agers caught up in the sliding threshold of consent age.

It seems that almost every year there's a nationally written up article on some kid caught up in it. The two victims cited are only the tip of the iceberg

And here's the interesting part:
    Now look at the bolded parts... and realize that ALL 14,572 on the list are sanctioned the exact same as 'predators'.

It's long been my premise that some of the stupidest people on earth are lawyers.. and many of those too stupid to make a good living practicing law, become politicians. And YES, I will tell them that to their faces, Don.
    - If you dont believe me, drop in to your local county courthouse, during civil litigation, and witness the actual work of some of those lawyers whose firms advertise on TV.

Anyone using common sense and their own memory should understand that kids using silly judgement in their minority years should not be penalized for life by the elected stupid, or avaricious.

If Georgia doesnt act on their own to remedy this, I'm afraid that pressure will mount for the federal government to correct it. And that is bad for all of us.

** Along with property seizure laws, allowing the state to seize property from those merely ACCUSED of a crime...which seems to be largely ignored by those who constantly howl about eroding civil rights.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The saddest thing is that a high school boy having sex with a willing high school girl can not only be charged with statutory rape, but can be labeled as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Having been a high school boy and having taught hundreds of these hormonally driven guys, it seems that this Draconian punishment is the real "crime against nature."

Wonder what comments we might hear from our FulhAmerican Georgians on this topic.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okay; after several TV programs and civic movements and a rant from our Pettyfog ... a little bit of justice ... sort of ... kind of ... in a way.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21488038/

My question: does this gutless half-way decision also remove the "sex offender" tag that will otherwise be with him for the rest of his life? If not, it's just another stab in the heart for this kid.

4. pettyfog

It goes to the core of it... but in no way addresses it.

It doesnt address the idiotic concept that 'oral sex is not sex' either.

I could go on and on about the shucking off of 'personal and family values' and those who want to replace them with 'Laws', but I wont.

Instead, I'll just say that our courts have more improtant and pressing business than to have to devote deliberations to individual injustices.

So if the elected are affronted by this, I suggest they use what's left of their time from campaigning and looking for bribes and ADDRESS IT, using common sense... not what some pressure group wants.!

- - - - -- - - - -- - - -- - - -- -
    Can you believe it? Golly... then I wonder where she got that idea? Maybe because she's just a kid and her mind hasnt been corrupted with 'Ideo-think'?
    Bet Carissa's mom thinks this is 'Cute'.

[​IMG]

- from seejanemom

5. pettyfog

And HERE'S MORE to support my view that 'common sense' and 'lawyering' dont belong in the same sentence except as counterpoints:
    Put three lawyers on the head of a pin and they'd parse the boundary lines!