Party Schools

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 21, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Princeton Review list for the year is out... WVU is #1, no big surprise. I had a neighbor 30 years ago who graduated WVU 10 years before THAT and she was still hungover.

Dont bash WV, though... they have a great in-state student tuition program and have gone from 49 to 29 in # HS grads going on and completing at least one year.
    Tennesee is slightly disappointed to only come in #15

From my POV: comforting that the old perennial top ten from the Buckeye State is on it as usual.... pigs will be flyin when they aint!
    Am I right, Matt Laur?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wooo Hooo! The Terrapins are #14!!!!

Interestingly, neither Jeffy Fallwell's Liberty University, Bob Jones of South Carolina, Pat Robertson's College, nor Regent's Law School [whose alumni comprise about half the Bush Adminstration's lawyer positions] made the "stone cold sober" list. Hmmm.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

My old stomping grounds is at number 8. Bit of a step back for the Hoosiers. Bloomington is still a great place to gets some drinks in.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Party Schools

berea is #16. hmm, i guess bell hooks doesnt like her students drinking.

and with Wheaton(ILL) #2, Grove City #5, Calvin College #12, and St. Olaf #17, Christian schools do keep it sober. so take that don!

did you go to college park though?

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Party Schools

What? No Chico State?

6. Jux

Jux New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Party Schools

East Coast Media Bias :D

A good friend of mine went to WVU in the early 90s. The school was annually ranked #1 in Playboy's party school rankings. They were eventully promoted to the rank of Professional Party school and were removed from the "amateur" rankings.

7. iriedog

iriedog New Member

My sentiments exactly. They're always picked by Playboy Magazine. They probably know a little more about partying than the Princeton review. I'm an Alumni, and as soon as I tell anyone where I went to school, they smile and say party school, huh?

That pretty much says it all.

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Party Schools

Florida State's gone all the way down to 18th place? I find that hard to believe, considering that there's basically nothing to do in Tallahassee if you're a student... aside from party, tailgate, go to a frat house, get into nightclubs using fake ID's, buy six-packs and kegs by the load, and generally wreak havoc. In some apartments (and even dorms), that was the case virtually every night.

Then again, I don't go there anymore so something must have changed since then.

9. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Haha! I thought the same thing when I saw UNH (#7) ranked above UCSB (#10). That's like ranking the '04 Pistons over the '87 Lakers.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

1. Nope; I'm a UMUC-Europe dude; graduated in Old Heidelberg in the erstwhile West Germany.

2. HatterMom and I were both surprised to see St. Olaf on the "stone cold sober" list, because we were friends with a guy who graduated from St. Olaf -- played varsity pointy football there -- and he was an amiably scary guy when sober and a seriously scary guy when fired up, which was often.

11. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Woot. Penn State is holding strong at #6!

Though to be honest, that seems to only be true during football season. We spent the rest of the school year working to fix our GPAs and double vision.

:D

PS ... was there ANY surprise to see BYU at the top of the Sober school listing? And I have personal experience with Grove City College in Pennsylvania ... those weirdos actually take pride in their dry school. Freaks of nature I tell ya!

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Hatterdon. I went to UMUC - Munich Campus '87-89. At the time it was the #1 Party College, as rated by Playboy (cheap German beer, Oktober Fest, etc.)

My wife is the proud graduate of the #1 stone cold sober school - BYU.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

lol

now there's a mixed marriage if I ever heard of one! :lol:

14. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Visited Provo this summer and it was definitely a unique experience. I have to say I felt like I was in another world. Most conservative city I've ever been too.

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Hatterdon. LOL! Yeah, I've cleaned up my act a lot since my college days. I half-jokingly say that I partied enough those two years to last the rest of my life, so I don't really miss it now.

ToM. Yeah, I have to agree with you there (I spent my first 2 years of marriage there while my wife finished school), though I have heard some towns in the Bible Belt are at least as bad. Provo does have both the highest marriage rate and highest birthrate, per capita, of anywhere in the county, so for the "target demographic" its a perfect fit.