Paris(the city not the...)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spencer, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

An opening to head to Europe during Spring break in March just came up and I took it. Flying into London to catch the home match against Everton on the 15th :banana: and flying out of Paris 12 days later.

Anyhow I've just found out and have some research to do. I know shamefully little about Paris. I generally like to stay away from the tourist spots opting to wander with out much of a plan but if anyone has any words of wisdom on Paris can't misses I'll be very appreciative. Also any suggestions on nice parts of the city to stay in would be helpful. I'll be going the hostel route and by the looks of it they've got loads of them.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Wow! have a great time in Paris and at the match. I cant help much with suggestions since we went to several of the tourists spots, which are wonderful in Paris. Wandering around there is really wonderful too so you're set.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm sorry, spencer, I love ALL of Paris. You must do some tourist stuff. The Louvre and Notre Dame. I'm out of town now, but will check in with HatterMom midweek next week and come up with some coherent ideas.

Paris is a wonderful place for a young, single guy -- not bad for an old married guy either.

4. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I would totally agree with Don, when I went I decided not to use the underground railway, but to walk everywhere. It took me places that I enjoyed, but I walked between tourist attractions. The Louvre can take days if you are a real art fiend, although I was not so impressed with the Mona Lisa. The electicity pylon they are so fond of was OK, but I don't like heights. I went to the top becuase it was something I thought I should do that something I actually wanted to do.

I thought the best Cafes were around the back streets near Notre Dame. I hope you have a ball.

I don't know how the Parisians are to Yanks, but the ain't to fond of us Brits. Even when speaking their lingo. The rest of France are helpful and kind to travellers.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I just got my flight itinerary and am rearing to go. Flight back home is a bit bothersome, DeGaulle to Montreal to Chicago AND then finally to Minneapolis(had points for Air Canada you see) but hey I'm cool with that. Your right, certainly will have to do some tourist stuff. It would be unjust to go to Paris for the first time and not visit the Louvre, even if I do struggle grasp what I'm looking at. I'll make sure to get out to Versailles as well.

Oh I'm sure they'll hate me plenty but that’s their right in their city I suppose. And I really can't speak a word of French, have always taken Spanish throughout school(not that I speak much of that :roll: )

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I suggest a visit to Père Lachaise Cemetery. Also, grab a bite to eat and hang out in the Champ de Mars and surrounding area. It's a beautiful city, you'll love every minute.

7. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Wow, sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Have fun.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm off tommorow morning! If I make it home maybe I'll post somthing about it. Gotta go pack now...

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Have fun. Catch the Paris marathon if you're still there. I have very good friends running in it. I'm sure they'll finish first.

10. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I envy you. Have a great time, maybe someday I'll be able to trek over there as well

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

It's posts like these that make me wish I had money...

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Made it back late last night after a chain of delays in my connections. Paris is a deadly fascinating city. The French are a breed of their own!

In addition to the Fulham game I ended up going to see Watford v Stoke, PSG v Bastia in a Cup match, and rugby game at a sold out Stade de France between two teams I've never heard of. All quite fun.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Paris is cool. good for you for checking it out. Though you DO know that Paris doesnt represent 'Frenchmen' any more than NY represents 'Americans'.

Of course you do.