Pardon my paranoia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jun 24, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wow! this is getting freaky. Here I am about to post a thread about a news story that disappeared from the site I was reading and then my post disappeared as well. Hmmmm.

Okay; let's try again.

I was reading an article from Google News Headlines when, about 1 paragraph in, my ISP said the article couldn't be accessed. I went back to my home page and the headline had disappeared. When I entered the Google site, the article was long gone. I requested a list of all articles and it wasn't there.

Here's where the paranoia comes in: the article was about the murder of 4 US soldiers by a "council member" in Iraq. It said that an Iraqi interpreter was also killed along with the shooter. It identified the murderer as a council member who was a member of a Sunni party, but before I could get any locational information, the article disappeared.

Anybody have a similar experience? Anybody seen that article this morning? If so, is it still where you saw it?

Who's editing the internet for us? And am I paranoid to believe it is done for political purposes?

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Our "relationship" with China has its advantages......

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not the same article, but defo the same incident. Some details are different, but this is what disappeared from Google headlines.

Thanks, pard.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Don, it disappeared because it was google sourced and, as pointed out, it had story details wrong.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, with FulhamAg's help, I pieced that together. It freaked me out at the time, though. I figured that Google was allowing Chinese-type control over content here also. :shock:

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

They do that, of course... but only by intentional omission.

just like they do in china.