Original favorite USMNT player

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryWhite, Jun 10, 2014.

1. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Who was the first player that caught your eye with the USMNT? For me it was Cobi Jones. His love of the game always seemed to come through in the way he played. He never seems to make any of the all-tme eleven lists bot for me he was an injection of energy and brought everything he had to a match. I only wish he had passed along his secrets of successful hair styling on to Kyle Beckerman.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tab Ramos. I'm still ticked off at the Brazilian who elbowed him in the 94 Cup. When you throw a deliberate elbow like that and a players suffers an injury like Ramos did, I think the law needs to step in not just the sport's governing body.

Anyway, he was by far one of our best players from that time period...if not one of the best ever. That guy who cheap shot him knew it too.

3. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

mine would have been Jones, lalas, or balboa. That's who I remember most from 1994.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I was a big fan Thomas Dooley and Ernie Stewart, but if I had to only pick one it would be Tony Meola. Even then you could tell the US had a GK that could compete w/the elite at his position.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It will be no surprise to anyone who's ever had a beer with me ... Tab Ramos -- probably the most talented player we've ever produced.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Despite all of the justified love for Ramos, I'm going with McBride. In 90 and 94 I watched the team but didn't really know any of the players, aside from Lalas in 94 because he was marketed. McBride is my favorite and brought me to Fulham.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Clinton Drew Dempsey. When I began watching the World Cup with a more critical eye four years ago, there was a play he made against somebody in which he didn't score, but created a chance with a brilliant, tough, physical run up the gut. I knew nothing of our team then except Landon Donovan, but the guy who impressed me most was this tough, wiry Texan who wasn't afraid of phyiscal play, despite his slight stature. I began researching his background and story afterwards and thought, this is the MAN. I still believe that. And he's not the primary reason I'm a Fulham supporter, but I wouldn't know squat about futbol, and probably would not have pursued any further interest in it without being drawn to his style of play.

8. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

:text-+1:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nor me

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lol.. all good choices and I won't argue with any of them.

However.. my original favorite US player is none of the above.. and everyone except Don {and maybe, Don, too} will go 'Huh'.

ta-da... Ladies and Gentlemen... I propose ..
    Kyle Rote, Jr... fantastic pedigree of name recognition.. every football fan knew who he was and his family lineage.
    Yeah the connection to the USMNT is sorta tenuous, but so was everyone else's at that time. Thing is, he played with the best of them in the NASL.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I remember him well. I remember telling a Brit, "Imagine Bobby Charlton's son deciding to play baseball. That's what Kyle Rote Jr. playing soccer is like."