OPinion: US World Cup Team: Time to move on

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 26, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm sure that most of us soccer fans were disappointed to see the US fail to make it out of their group in Germany; though most of us werent surprised at it. The US team drew into one of, if not the, most difficult groups in the opening round.

But the real disappointment comes at the rather unspectacular end to so many bright though not brilliant careers on the team.

Brian McBride wont be back, Claudio Reyna wont. Eddie Pope nor anyone else selected for the 1998 team.

Surely, this WAS a better, deeper team than Korea/Japan and after the 2002 performance we'd hoped to see the team improve on their steadying and gritty influence. One we cannot say that about is Landon Donovan... though if his performance is any indicator of our future fortunes, we have cause for dismay.
    Donovan easily took on the role of face of the US team from McBride since '02; yet it is now McBride, again, who personifies the team.

Bruce Arena has to share some of the blame for this, the US having only 4 shots on goal in three games being the result of his conservative tactics. But he had little to work with..only Eddie Johnson had any real goal-scoring success in the qualifying run-up.
    Let's face it.. we dont have much to choose from and banking on Freddy Adu to pull us out of the swamp is a little much. But, right now he, along with Johnson, is all we have.

So, I'm thinking that the entire team needs to be scuttled and remade. Anyone who was on the 2002 team needs to be told that they will have to actually work HARDER to make the team than a newcomer would.

If for no other reason than to send a message to Landon Donovan.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and it starts at the top. First Bruce goes, and then it's probably time to let all the 98ers go, as much as it would pain me to watch the USA without McBride. Many people felt that the reason England lost in Mexico in 1970 was Alf Ramsey's reluctance to cut loose the older members who won in '66.

Don't forget we have a lot of young talent in European youth leagues right now, as well as several good young players in England -- wasn't Jay Demerit worth a callup? We need to look at the 23 and unders as the basis of our team for South Africa 2010.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Things definitely need to change. Getting a new manager in place who will pick the best players on performance rather than on the big-name basis would be a great start.

Also, contrary to what many on here might say, the US needs to get as many of their young players overseas now. The coaching and development of players is much better overseas and the pressure and spotlight is not on that person from day one, ala Freddy Adu.

I am not saying MLS is not a good league as it is and will continue to be an integral part of the Men's National Team fortunes. However, the competition on a weekly basis is not the same as it is in Europe. Even a US player in the reserves of a bigger team in Europe will learn from some of the best manager and coaches in the world while competing day in and day out with some of the best players.

In Bruce Arena's last press conference after the World Cup he reiterated just that. Players like Brad Friedel, Brian McBride, Claudio Reyna and others who have played overseas have paved the way for Americans to be successful on the other side of the Atlantic.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the US needs to play against better teams more often. This crap about playing Canada, Grenada and other rubbish Central American teams is not going to cut it. Get in Copa America and take your lumps and bruises. It is the only way to measure yourself against the World's best. The Gold Cup and other such nonsense competitions are not going to bring about any kind of atmosphere similar to that of the World Cup.

Let's face it, getting into the World Cup will not be a problem in the forseeable future for the US. However, playing in the World Cup could be. Right now the only matches the US plays in four years between World Cups that are close to the height of a World Cup are the two against Mexico. That is not enough. The new boss and the US Soccer Federation need to do better in this area and disregard the ridiculous FIFA ranking and not care about falling a bit. Getting players experience against some of the best teams will help this team down the road in 2010 and beyond.

4. pettyfog

I answered this "Euro-kids" point in the North American forum, but here's a summary:

On the majority of the concept: "RUBBISH!"
    If they aren't, at least, in a true First Division team and starting regularly, they aint got it.
    Uh... No. Wouldnt you say Eindhoven qualifies? And if youre starting on Eindhoven wouldnt that be even better?
    And Beasley's STILL the 'same old' he was in Chicago.

And I'm so sick of hearing about Conor Casey, I could puke! If he's so good and he's always available, why isnt he available?

THAT said, I agree 100% with Tom's last two paragraphs and anyone else who makes those points.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

But to me it is not just about the current crop of players, it is about the development of younger players for the future. My point is that I think the European leagues are more equipped with better coaches, training systems and youth set-up to teach and guide the youngsters along a good path. At this point I do not think MLS can offer that to younger players.

6. pettyfog

But, Tom.. that's only pure opinion. And, other than Demerit, who can you really point to?

Nope, the thing is for those other leagues to be looking at budding MLS stars and getting them in, and for MLS to let them go, perhaps with provision that those Euro Buying clubs give sweetheart terms for those coming this way.

Let's make it clear... MLS coaching is improving all the time. Perhaps at an even better rate than those clubs in Europe.
    Certainly having better results for our talent than the Scandinavian Clubs.

I wont dispute the 'need for more, better' and the fact that it's more likely in Europe, but we really havent seen too much of those results, when it's been tested.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I cannot give you examples and that is kind of my point. I am of the belief that if younger players develop over in Europe that there will be more American faces in Europe making a difference on clubs.

I honestly think Freddy Adu should have gone to Europe to develop. All of the pressure and the national spotlight is on him and while he is slowly developing I think a player like him could have been served well playing for one of the bigger clubs in their youth system.

You are right that it is only pure opinion, but what about MLS leads you to believe that the quality of play week in and week out is helping the budding youth of the soccer world here in the States? What coaches and managers have shown a knack for teaching the youth of America how to play the game at the international level?

Why do basketball players all want to come to America to play in the NBA and baseball players want to come to MLB? One might say it is money, which is a distinct possibility, but I would also argue that it is because they want to compete against the best and learn from the best each and everyday. The same could be said about the European game in soccer.

8. pettyfog

And another thing, I'm pretty sure those of us who follow Domestic and Yanks abroad soccer have already heard the names of those who'll be on the 2010 WC.

9. pettyfog

ADU!!!!!

Dont you think Freddy has the advice and counsel of some of the best consultants in the world BESIDES his mom?

Dont you think that Pietr Nowak knows what's up and how to bring him along?

Would Adu have re-thunk his priorities and got his head back on straight, in the off-season, if he were in some Euro-reserve team?

No... he would have been making personal appearance and signing programs.

And the MLS is valuable to those who might, at the age of 12 or 13, be making a decision on whether to play soccer or basketball/baseball/football.

And THAT is the core of the need. IF they love soccer they need to think they can keep on playing with recognition. SOME kids (and their parents) actually DO look ahead.
    What happens when they get to the age of deciding WHERE to play their pro career is a whole different thing, they need to get there first.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This is the hard part. I agree MLS is a vital and important factor in developing the sport in this country, but I am not so convinced that it is the place for the top 5% of the league that will make up a chunk of the next US National Team.

You cannot compare MLS with basketball, football or baseball as the money is not even comparable. Until MLS puts more money into the league and lets teams spend more, then MLS will never be able to compete with any of the other big sports in this country and even the bigger leagues of Europe. Money is huge. If more money was spent on players more big names in their prime might come over and play. Also, that would bring more coaches, managers, etc that can help develop interest in the game for MLS.

Now, finding that kind of money to spend on MLS is a whole different issue and one for another day.

11. krhimself

krhimself New Member

If they do look for a new manager to lead them, I think they would do well to at least contact Jurgen Klinsmann to fill their role. His team has looked impressive in the Cup so far, and he's really answered his critics well. Also, lest anybody forget, he already lives in California.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Tom, I agree with you that players would probably develop better in European youth systems...heck they would develop better in South American youth systems. And you correctly pointed out that it all comes down to coaching in youth soccer. Unfortunately, we can't send every budding soccer star to Europe with work permits and money being the main problem. Heck Jay Demerrit is weird story, I heard he couldn't get on any team and wasn't very valued at all as a player, but he went to England and trialed for a bunch of teams and found his way onto Watford. He is atypical. And it doesn't seem he trained at European youth academies. Also, I haven't seen him play in a game, how do we know if he's all that?

My solution, and it's kind of taking place. Try and get the youth coaches in these countries to come here to the States and set-up youth academies across the country. I think Charlton and Everton and few other teams abroad are setting these up, I'm not sure what coaches they are using but I think it's a step in the right direction. We need to change the youth set-up in big way, the NCAA is not good enough to develop young players skills.

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Heather I completely agree that the revamping of the youth system is what is needed to help the game grow and in-turn help in the development of the younger players. While it is possible, money is needed to make this happen. There is money being thrown in from European clubs as you mentioned, but the Soccer gods need to look down on American soccer and find some filthy rich Abramovich types to not just develop one single team, but to throw loads of cash into US Soccer as a whole to get program like these off the ground and implemented throughout the country. Not just the Adidas Select crap in Florida, but many others as well.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

So looking to the future (because it is fun and it's Monday), here is my starting line-up with reserves, assuming all are healthy:

GK: Tim Howard
    (Hahnemann, Yelldell)

(Right to Left)
    D: Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Oguchi Onyewu, Cory Gibbs
    (Bocanegra, Conrad, Berhalter, Whitbread as subs)

M: Pearce, Dempsey, Mastroeni, Convey
    (DeMerit, Nguyen, Adu, Feilhaber as subs)

F: McBride and Johnson
    (Casey, Twellman as subs)

That is 23! Interested to hear others.

MLS is a feeder league. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being an American supporting the best leagues in Europe, where many future American stars are sure to play. The MLS is nice, but let's all try to get past the idea that it will ever be on par with even the Juniper League.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Sorry, DeMerit to start in midfield with Pearce as reserve.

16. pettyfog

As said, it's being done... and what's wrong with the Forida setup.. it cant do it all, but it's a start.

And i disagree it's ALL about salaries when the kid comes to the crossroads... he only wants options and the wise parent knows it's not certain the kid will end up in the top 5 % of his age group.

No, what NEEDS to be done is being, and has been, done.

Now we're waiting for the crops to mature. What's important is the kid has to love the game, as well.

17. pettyfog

Tom, go ahead and move this to NA forum... I keep getting 'invalid session' any time I try to moderate... someone needs to look into that.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

McBride is one of my guys and all, but if he is on the 2010 World Cup team we have problems. I think he has a year or two left in the tank club wise, but other than that, his time will be up as an International player. He has been outstanding for the USMNT over the years, but I hope the US team will have developed a new era of strikers to partner Eddie Johnson heading to South Africa.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The only thing that's wrong with the Florida set-up (which you alluded to) is it only selects about 30 kids from Regional Select teams. It's not enough, about half those kids will be worth anything.

And what about the kids at the time were not selected but turn into late bloomers? There just isn't enough for the kids who show some promise but haven't had proper instruction, especially 16-20 year olds.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: OPinion: US World Cup Team: Time to move on

Well, he was unavialable during the run up because he was recovering from injuries he received during the Gold Cup. And, unlike O'Brian, he got better and was contributing for his club side, but Arena had stopped looking in Europe. By all means, let's ignore a forward who can score goals in European Competition.

Tom has the best points in this debate. Europe is where the players will develop better. We're going to benefit greatly from the young guys with German teams and with Ngyuen at PSV. What we've already learned is if they can't hack working up through the ranks for a good European club, then they can't hack being "the man" at the WC -- right, Landon?

I love the MLS, but there's a direct correlation between using players developed there as the base of our MNT and not being able to handle European sides.