Onset of Senile Dementia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 17, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

As I noted on the Freddy Fender thread, YouTube is a danger to my mental well being.. and it's all because of 'Weird Al'

I hadnt thought of that guy for years, but about 20 years ago, my kid did a lipsync of One More Minute in a middle school talent show, causing his mom and I to be the object of much clucking and gossip, of course.
    "..you left me stranded in the gas station of love, and I have to use the self service pump."

Of course, him being a Weird Al fan... I had to listen to all Al's stuff and I was struck with what a good voice he has, not to mention the production values and care he gives on his parodies.. but when I took the kid to a live concert, I was REALLY blown away.
    The musicianship is top notch and you cannot tell the music or arrangement from the original.. some, including artists he copies, say it's even better.

AL is very popular on Youtube and MUCH of it has his soundtrack being overlaid onto the poster's imaging or onto other video.
    Search weird al hardware store for an idea

An example of Al's quality is
    Spiderman- PianoMan rendition overlaid onto Billy Joels Pian Man video

The Spiderman shows Al's lyric genius... the latter shows how close he stays to the original.

As if I needed ANOTHER reason to waste time on the net!!!!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Petty, it took you long enough to get into Weird Al. I particularly like:
    "It's All Billy Joel to Me"
    "Fat"
    "I Lost On Jeopardy"
    and, of course "Like a Sturgeon."

Believe he's son or nephew to Frankie Yankovic, which would explain his accordian chops.

3. pettyfog

Uh.. again you misunderestimate me... I was a big Stan Freberg fan ("I come in through da window!") when I was a teen, and Spike Jones, before that!

Gotcha!

heh....

[​IMG]

Actually.. being a Weird Al admirer means you're a bona fide nerd.. just chaeck out the audience on Weird Al - Live.

And I dont care! Because most US footy fans are, too.
    ;)

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Ah, Stan Freberg -- Gray Flannel Hatful of Teen-Age Werewolves, Elderly Man River [PC identified in the Eisenhower Era], "Words to live by, Crachit."

And with that, the old farts have lost everyone else on the site.

Thanks for the memories, dude!

5. pettyfog

That's what wikipedia's for!