Ohio State at USC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Fulham first thing in the morning (out here on the left coast) and Ohio State/SC in the evening (not too shabby a sports day).
    Knowing that there are a few Buckeye fans who haunt this board...

The biggest game of the young college football is upon us, and while OSU's performance agianst a minnow last week was eye-opening, 92k will be at the Coliseum and the atmosphere will be electric.

Keys for OSU: will need to win the turnover battle, and make at least one big play on special teams to have a chance. Even a trick play or two will be necessary.
    Cause for Concern: Two games against inferior talent will not have them ready against the speed the Trojans possess.

Keys for USC: The O-line opening holes for the best trio of rbs (each of whom could start and star anywhere else) I've ever seen on one team. The young qb Sanchez being patient.

Prediction; OSU plays with a chip on their shoulder, but USC proves too much and wins going away. Trojans in no trouble until they have to go to Tucson in Oct. :roll: (I can dream can't I?)

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Sorry Buckeyes...Tommy Trojan by 3 touchdowns.

3. Bradical

Bradical Member

USC in a rout... 49-13

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

SCJ, Omsdogg, Bradical, and any other haterade drinkers, you may be right. I wouldn't pick the Bucks if I were a fan of, say, Georgia.

That said, I have a feeling about Tressel in this one. He is simply not to be underestimated. If the Bucks win over the University of Spoiled Children, I will be quoting your predictions...

5. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Trojans by 10

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Trojans lose to a deep three-pointer in septuple overtime 176-173. The game lasts 6 hours. OSU's 4th string running back gets 118 yards rushing. USC's QB goes over 1000 yards for the season by the end of the 4th overtime. A new NCAA record for commercial timeouts in a regular-season game is established.

And, somewhere in South Texas, an old man will care more about the results of the German Regionalia Nord than he will about this result.

7. SoCalJoe

Steve, not a fan of either team, but will always root for the Pac-10 (well maybe not ASU :roll: ). Tressel is a great coach w/out a doubt and they will raise their level of play to the opponent (they better). However, as they have found out against the SEC speed kills and SC has a ton of it.

To the gentleman in South Texas enjoy the FC Ingolstadt 04 v Alemania Aachen match :wink: Should be scintillating. While you are doing that I will be at a Trojan house party, enjoying some great ribs and brisket and watching a matchup that has tremendous history and brings back memories of many a New Year's Day from Pasadena.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i just made a prediction, not a fan of SC. That said, I am so sick of Jim Tressel if I hear any more about how he's this or that i'm going to puke! I had a coaching class at the UofU back when Tressel had first become the coach at OSU and some dude with a man crush went off every day in class about "Jim Tressel this...Jim Tressel that". By the end of the semester, there were 35 (out of 36 in the class) legitimate Jim Tressel haters! Just picture Jim Tressel being the answer to all of your questions, any issues you face, or problems you encounter in your life. You would probably hate the guy too!

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I take it back, Don has ALL of the Haterade. I'll think of you when I am at the party I am attending.

OK, really I won't.

Omsdogg, I had forgot that you mentioned the Jim Tressel kiss-ass in a previous thread some time ago. I can certainly see your point! That would cause me to lose my lunch too. That said, believe me, if he was mediocre, or even merely good, and didn't have 93 octane passion for the Bucks, he would not receive that kind of adulation.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Factors:
    The MAC effect!
    Bucks, after the YSU scrimmage, merely elevate play one step, forget the amazing propensity of MAC teams to find that overlooked quarterback.

Still... USC by 10. That's what I'd bet anyway, if I were just an onlooker.

Whoever scores 26 points wins.
    - - - - -- - - -- - - - - -- -
    SC Joe:
    Brings to mind a few years ago... the Crew Club was packed, after a rare victory, to watch OSU at Texas. Truly a mint julep nite.

11. SoCalJoe

Fog, I'm sure the state of Ohio will practically be shut down for this one. I have to think there will be at least 20,000 fans clad in OSU's colors in the Coliseum.

12. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

They're saying no Beanie Wells for this one. I didn't like OSU's chances with him, look for a rout without him.

Ironically, I follow Aachen (friend of mine lives there) so I might actually find that match more entertaining. But only b/c I think the Trojans will have this one wrapped up by halftime. I'm not a loon like Don. :lol:

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ugh, if that's the case it'll be a long night...

Go Bucks!

14. pettyfog

Well we hope that's what USC players think, anyway. Yes, Ohio State only has one decent running back!!!

I said above:

..only knowing Wells was out.

Since I NEVER listen to the interminable Buckeye punditizing locally, saving it for game day and I've heard the national guys... I'm more certain than ever of that.

OSU 27 USC 24

Heh.... right the first time, wrong the second.

Boy that was awful.. but the Crew took a point at Tor, anyway.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Why dont you pay attention? Is there something I posted above you dont understand? Or is it inconvenient to your world view.

Touche, Fog. :wink:

16. pettyfog

Heh.... right the first time, wrong the second.

Boy that was awful.. but the Crew took a point at Tor, anyway.

17. SoCalJoe

Too fast, too confident, too well coached (USC's practices are legendary). Not sure how OSU recovers mentally from such a beatdown. Their body language spoke volumes early in the third quarter.

Being at a house w/a bunch of people wearing SC jerseys (these people were no where in sight in the 90's), it's obvious that LA doesn't miss the NFL as much with this juggernaut in town. Pete Carroll was the 4th or 5th choice to become the coach -'the stadium was too old, the campus in the wrong part of town, the top recruits want to go back east'. Now the best players that can go to any school (and get to the field right away) are willing to go to USC and compete for playing time. All the credit has to go to him.

18. pettyfog

We may see a school go all the way as #1 for the first time in a long time.

I {after listening to a sample of the sport talk shows, not because I follow closely} agree with Joe about the USC program.
    Also:
    They showed up OSU's weak points - Assistant coaches. Apparently Tressel has settled for less in hiring because he's tired of having assistants hired away to HC at other schools. It doesnt work. That is all my opinion, and NOT from listening to others say it, thoough they might have.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wow, what a beat-down.

I can't say much. other than congrats to USC, they ran away with it, no pun intended.