Offensive problems

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, Jan 13, 2007.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

The Telegraph notes today that:

* 55% (12 of 22) of the goals Fulham have scored have come from set pieces - the highest percentage in the top flight, and
    * Fulham have won 87 corners this season - the fewest in the top division

Of course, they're related--if we don't have pressure on the defense, we don't score in the flow of play nor force corners.

Comments?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good, thoughtful opening, Dave. And I agree they're related. They're also related to the fact that we've been playing with a Serie A philosophy most of the season. Don't swarm the defense, play holding, look for counter attack, pass the ball around in your own half. It's boring and unproductive -- which is why i stopped watcing Italian fitba a couple of decades ago.

Recently, however, we've been taking it to the opponent. Look at the goals against Chelsea and Leicester, for example. All in the flow of play. Aggressive, attacking play opens holes in defenses and makes for more goals. At least that's my view.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It doesn't help when you're playing central defenders in the midfield, and have Radz and Routledge (in his case holding the ball too long, as well) pulling shots high and wide every few minutes. I think once Fulham get some new midfielders in the line-up they'll be able to play a more attacking game.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Great find Dave. It was only last season that we couldn't score on a set piece with an open net in front of us.

When looking at these figures, it is a bit worrying we are not scoring from more open plays but like DCHeather said, it has to do with our strikers not getting correct service due to injuries in the midfield. To add to that Collins John is not playing well at all...if only he was.

The corner stat bothers me...if we had more, we'd score more goals!