NYT article on Big Phil, MLS and the Beckham gambit

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Apr 22, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Wow sounds like a rich prick. When I first heard about Peter Wilts ouster in Chicago I thought "what kind of rich arrogant prick would do such a stupid a$$ thing". Well now I know, and the Fire organization and its fans have clearly paid the price for his moronic decision.

I'd be interested to know what his real views on the sport are and what his vision is. MLS is so tied to AEG, its rather unhealthy. If Phil calls up Garber and tells him he wants somthing done, theres no way he could possibly say no. The quicker the league ownership diversifys the better. Thankfully were moving in that direction.

3. pettyfog

DAmm! Some selective commentary there, Spencer!

Note that 'the rich prick' has:

- made possible the internet video streaming, and VoIP, you love by building excess backbone capacity when anyone who KNEW telecom and E.E. would have been selling their stock in national carriers cause everyone KNEW all you had to do was apply new tech to old fiber to get 10 -or MORE- X bandwidth... and he made the railroads themselves lose less money.

- applied reasonable business practices to theatre chains, when everyone knew the market was overdone. Thus kept the whole industry from going under

- only stayed with local MLS clubs long enough to make them viable then sold off not just the weak sisters but the ones who SHOULD be able to stand on their own.

- Certainly the polar opposite of what the public image of the Beckhams' {and their friends} stand for.. yet he's bringing them into the mix.

- If Peter Wilt had no baggage in that, he would have been snapped up by one of the new owners if they were smart.. right? But he's messing around in Milwaukee, last we heard. Whazzupwidat!

- Do you also resent his making of the film on Wilberforce?

I admit I didnt know much more about Big Phil than Spencer does... in fact I loathed him for the Qwest connection - which is, or WAS, truly one of the crap phone companies ever... And if I had OWNED Qwest stock at the beginning, I would have sold... for the excess bandwidth reasons alone. There've been several WELL RUN companies wounded by that, alone.

I think the article explained quite well what his interests in the sport are, certainly satisfied me. They're basically the same as Lamar's were ... except he has more money to spend on it.

Note he has invested heavily in MLS and in US SOCCER, certainly not in some venture to get richer, or to leverage his personal social beliefs.

Can you say the same about George Soros?

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes, yes. I won't claim I've got a well rounded view on him.

I don't really know how responsible (perhaps I should find out) Big Phil is in the Quest debacle but I do know that my Mom's business and what ever family fortune there was went under as a result of it. The Quest mess caused much heartache in my household. The after effects of it may never disapear.

5. pettyfog

You sure it was Qwest... or worldcom?

Worldcom's collapse helped do my IT career in... if, that is, I was looking for someone to blame.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes I'm sure, thanks.

7. pettyfog

You have my sympathies for sure.