NY vs. A-Rod

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokin', Jul 20, 2006.

1. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I've been watching very little sportscenter recently but I've noticed a running theme in baseball is this new A-Rod will be traded during the offseason.

Does anyone subscribe to this?

As a devout Yankees fan, I have to admit I'm absotely estactic at this proposition. I'm not a big A-Rod fan as very few NYers are... My favorite NY third basemen is David Wright at this point. Thats my type of player.

I'd eat 5 mil a year on his contract if I were the GM and George and try to get a big proven young pitcher and some farm talent.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do not think he will get traded. Although if he does, I think it would benefit both parties. One thing I do not get is how Yankee fans just get on A-Rod about everything. While he is not worth 25 million, no one is for that matter, he is still a great player and was the MVP last season.

Unfortunately, I think A-Rod let's the media and fans get to him mentally and it brings him down. It is sad because he is a great, great player.

3. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I'm exposed(tv) to this guy on an everyday basis. Whether in games on in interviews. Its nuts I know. But NYers love the guys most like them. For example... Daryl Strawberry, David Wells, Gary Sheffield... these guys were gamers... simply put they walked out there not giving an F and perform. If that guy were to be MVP, then so be it. NYers dont care about such players unless they have the phrases "World Series" or "Championship Series" before the aforementioned three letters.

A-Rod has great skill... the problem is it becomes very average in the clutch. Yeah, you can say he leads the Yanks in GW RBI's, its probably still true... but the rarely come late in the game and almost never in clutch situations. I hate to hate this guy, but he's a closet arrogant bastard and put this 25 millions dollar label on himself. Now he has to prove its worth.

He IS the polar opposite of Scott Brosius and Charlie Hayes whom both were vacuums at 3rd, MOST ESPECIALLY when it truly mattered. AND Brosius had a .265 lifetime average, but hit some of the most insanely clutch world series home runs, base hits ever, or at least in Yankees lore.

I'd trade A-Rod for Crede in a hot second, just throw in a mediocre starting pitcher and a catching prospect.

Seriously... he was voted MVP based on his stats, not how valuable he was... he had the best lineup around him last year... and if you remember was batting second behind Jeter down the stretch because he was ineffective when it counted and he was able to take walks...

Maybe the Cubs want him... A-Rod for Derek Lee?

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

It is not A-Rod's skills that will limit a trade, it is obviously the money. For money purposes Lee is a much better bargain as is Crede.

5. Jux

Jux New Member

I'm with you Smokin'. The day the Yankees picked up his contract was one of my happiest days as a Rangers fan (I know...there aren't many). I never thought he was worth the money Texas offered him. Not when they had so many other needs.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

True... but the Rangers alreay pay 10 mill a year, I think, of A-Rods contract... the Yanks can pay 5 more of it to get rid of him and trade for a player with a 15 mil a year contract.

I just dont think he'll live out that contract, and I definately think he needs to be out of the spotlight.

I'm just tired of him striking out all time with runners on and less than 2 outs. Is hurtful to watch.

--HOW ABOUT WE TRADE HIM BACK TO SEATLE FOR ICHIRO!!! --

7. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Another costly error last night... now he leads the league for 3rd basemen and for now is tied with for 3rd in the league for any position with 17.

I'm wondering what his game winning RBI vs. game losing errors ratio is. I need a statistician STAT.

Either way... E-Rod, if your reading this, your up by 3, throw the ball to first so that the bases are empty and there are 2 outs... way to blow it.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Best most accurate comment, A-Rod better apply the truth:

"If you think {about it}, you stink!'

Any play made on this level should be reflex... A-rod has the yips.. comes of thinking about it too much.

ASA: "Let the Force be with you"

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You guys are insane. Yes, he makes too much money. But

he plays every day
    he delivers constantly
    he is not a problem in the clubhouse
    he is not a problem with the media
    he's making errors at third BECAUSE HE'S A SHORTSTOP PLAYING OUT OF POSITION!

And yes, he's the polar opposite of Charley Hayes and Scott Brosius. That's why he's hitting .320 with 40 HRs and 125 RBI every year.

Yankee fans! I watched you guys boo Mickey Mantle every time he came to bat for the last 8-10 years of his career and then cheer when he hit a homer.

Ah, fagheddaboutit!

10. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Re: RE: NY vs. A-Rod

The first two points are yet to be proven... he barely delivers... I just recall how many times he could have ended that dismal implosion by hitting a ball that mattered against Boston in the ALCS in 2003. He had great stats in that series, BUT he was the greats contributors to the two Yankee blowout wins.

" .320 with 40 HRs and 125 RBI every year", yeah but no rings... no timely extrodinary AB's... ERRORS ERRORS ERRORS...

That out of position excuse worked for him two years ago...

As for Mickey, the LIVER, Mantle... he has some world series rings... or did they not give rings back then?

Don, I hear you loud and clear, as I do TOM, but the results, not the STATS say it all.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: NY vs. A-Rod

You have half your team on the disabled list, 4 AAA players playing significant innings and you're still in 2nd place in July. I can't figure out what you've got to complain about.

And then I remember, Yankee fans don't need a reason.

12. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: NY vs. A-Rod

I admit we do complain... but the point is in exactly what you wrote:

This wouldnt be an issue if we won some of the games that we lost because of a lack of moving runners over, or bad defensive plays... this weekend didnt help AGAIN. Timely errors, BAD defensive decisions, and strikeouts with 1 out, kill a teams momentum. Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were amazing players in switched positions... more than likely you think A-Rod would kill those guys in a greatest player ever contest.

With the great position we are in the Yanks want the 5 solid cornerstones to be just that. A-Rod, Jeter, Rivera, Moose, and Johnson. A-Rods winning prowess has never been tested before here... Seatle wasnt his team when they made the playoffs. I just dont think he's a gamer or a leader... I think hes great... I just dont want him on my team.

13. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Re: RE: NY vs. A-Rod

There's probably a better chance of Courtney Love starting an all-out Anti-Drug campaign than this trade happening. The M's fans might turn on their own team if this becomes a reality.

14. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

A-Rod to the BoSox, with the Yankees paying a portion of his contract. Him, Ortiz and Manny batting together could signal another world series.

How sweet would that be...the Yankee fans would have a collective face like a smacked arse.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

No way. I do not want him on the Red Sox. We were supposed to get him before the 2004 season and won without him. He's hasn't won a thing with the Yankees, thank God.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Man... if there was ever a casebook study of over-paying athletes; and too-aggressive agents screwing up careers and the game, this is it.

If he had any sense, he'd fire his agent and tear up all the contracts, move to a team like Florida, and get this monkey off his back.

What's he gonna tell his grandkids when showing them his scrapbook?

"Yeah, but I made millions, anyway!"

17. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

That how I feel Petty, I feel he doesnt care about championships... at least not enough to focus in any inning after the 5th. I hope they keep reel from when ESPN was courting him so they could get as close to the story as possible. NO player in his right mind signs this kind of contract and expects to win a title. Aside from that he's a cancer, his PR prowess is designed to deflect attention while raking in the dough. He's an over paid stat machine...

its not a coincidence that he hit 57 home runs when his team was 30+ games under .500...

his best chance to win before the yankees would have been to stay on with the M's for a short stay in the late 90's.