Novel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, Mar 14, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Born while I was quite depressed (and I still don't know why I was), I had an idea to write a novel where a man's wife is kidnapped by creatures of the underworld and he has to save her only to end in heartbreak after an epic showdown.

I have started to outline the story. Any feedback would be much appreciated :D

2. andyns

andyns New Member

I'd take a look.

Have you read any books about writing? Stephen King's On Writing is particularly good.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ianhux; how much writing have you done? Most novelists begin with short stories; have you written many of these? I think that mastering short fiction, with its economy of plot, setting, and dialogue, will polish your chops enough to make the next step. The novel is an incredibly difficult craft to do well.

I also second Andy's suggestion and echo that Stephen King's On Writing is one of the very best. What helped me actually finish what little I've finished in my life is Neil Simon's Rewrites.

I'd also warn you against talking too much about your work before you get it on paper. Sometimes just saying things out loud to other people -- especially other writers -- can kill ideas, plotlines, and even characters.

Go for it. Nobody's written "The Great American Novel" yet -- although Philip Roth actually gave that title to one of his -- and you might be the one.

4. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Don's right...that's how my last novel "Belle and the Mad Hatter" got destroyed...

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

This post just made me laugh out loud in my office

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and it's making me do the same in MY office. Thank goodness my office is in what used to be our dining room.

7. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Hahah...Don your office just made me laugh out lound and the girl in the cube next to me said nothing because that is all I do all day...

8. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well, since 2nd grade I've written numerous (I mean NUMEROUS) short stories. I will have to check out Stephen King's book. BTW there is no more information concerning my book. I'm keeping it under wraps until I either fail, finish, or publish. Ironically, we're starting a unit on short stories in my English class......

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good on ya, ianhux. I'll be happy to read anything you come up with. Two important things for all writers to do:

1. write

2. read

If you're a writer, it'll come out when it's good and ready. I'll be lifting my glass to you when it does.

10. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

bearz, does your neighbor laugh at your love for belle or does she know about it?

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Yeah...they all laugh dt, but that's okay, it's what I'm here for...

I like what I like and don't care who cares...and I think all Fulham have a little of that in them, why the hell else would we support the Whites???

12. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Ok I hate to resurrect a dead thread but work on this book has halted. I got about half-way through the outline and basically stopped. I'm starting the project back up again so I am requesting your support to help keep me on track

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nothing to add to what I said earlier. Got to get down to it and do it. Sit down at your Huxt-Table and WRITE. Put sentences together. Just keep writing even if you have nothing to say [watch it, Pettyfog! :D ]

Until the organization and inspiration get together; keep feeding the machine. READ and WRITE and READ some more.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'll give you a hint.

Dont pay any attention to critics on grammar, sentence structure or anything like that while you're writing the story. Let it flow, then have someone edit it.

On dialogue, hear the characters speak in your head. And dont let anyone tell you 'they wouldnt say that that way' UNTIL you get to editing. In a toss-up, then, go with YOUR version.