NotGoodNetNews: 2009 hacks to expect

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Tech: What will go wrong in 2009
    I'm far from an expert on the net, but you dont need to be an expert to see that coming.

What will happen, ultimately -I think- is a 'segmentation of the net'. Banks and such will not be available on the net, only via "VPN's" {Virtual Private Network} and all financial services transactions will require a piece of 'personal ID hardware' with a unique customer code.
    - The mark of the beast?

Already my bank makes my re-authenticate every week by only using short term cookies.

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Scary Fog.

If you have an authenticated session however, meaning you had to use a specific user id and password to get into your account, then it would seem that things like my brokerage account, would be safe from this type of net hijacking because the hijacker would need to know my user id and password and of course know my account balance and specific holdings because as I login it would have to have that info to display to me. They would have had to have that info already in order to have it look like my account, of course if they had that info already then my account would most likely be drained already.

I am not familiar with this site but it maybe that with sites like this, where the provider might not be holding anything but acting as an exchange, even for merchant sites, identity theft would be the result. Yikes.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Is this the kind of thing that authentication processes try to prevent by using a "Site Key" image? Like, when you set your password for your bank, you also pick a picture of the Gateway Arch as your Site Key, and then you're instructed not to enter your password until you've first confirmed that you recognize the image of the Gateway Arch on each login. That way, hackers can redirect traffic at DNS and they can duplicate MyCheckFree's front end, but they don't have your key image so you (theoretically) know not to enter your password or any other financial information.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I miss the 19th century