Nooz you would looz..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 16, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. if I didnt point it out:

UK schools may teach 'Creationism'

- Because some pseudo-christian Anglican bishops thinks it's 'only fair' to do that.

Jamie Gorlick - Mistress of Disaster

- Makes me wonder how Obama figures to use her in his administration.

See what happens when you have too close ties between government and financial industries? Not that FNMA wasnt a joke long before...

PS: Expect Obama to sort of tip-toe around this issue. FNMA mis-management hits a little too close to home.

Senate to vote on Pork-Daylight amendment. This is about rules set up to hide pork in committee. Under a supposed 'Anti-Pork' legislation.

- We already can figure where Obama stands on this, he's supply side on Pork {unless you count his wife's employer and her salary}, we know Palin has been on the 'demand' side. But what will McCain say... push come to shove?
    - -- - - - - - -- - - -
    Also, you know that the so-called 'debate on drilling' is set up to off-limit MORE offshore possibilities.. not enable drilling, right? If you dont know that, I'll put up some links.

- - - -- - - - - -- - - - -

NOW {reluctantly} endorses Obama

- Thus removing any doubt that 'Women's Rights' is really about Abortion.

2. pettyfog

And I get hoist on my own petard because I read some retard's opinion on it, without digging down to the source..

Here's the REAL STORY!

Basically hounded out because he sees nothing wrong in DISCUSSING it if it's brought up.

And neither do I.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

no there isn't. We use fairy tales to teach reading all the time.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

While interesting from an observer's point of view, it's really not at all relevant to the policy because of the history of established state religions in the British Isles (the Church of England is even represented in the House of Lords, though in the form of members who generally do not vote) in contrast to the long-held American civic value of separation of church and state.

Also, just because it's somewhat relevant: antidisestablishmentarianism.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

RE: Re: Nooz you would looz..

I do not believe in creationism, but I think that it is valid to discuss it during early scientific lessons about evolution to explain that creationist hold a counterview and that there are forms of creationism that try to explain the emperical evidence used to support evolution.

There is no room for creationis in science, but there is in education and there is in context to evolution. I brings balance to the discussion and helps students understand the need to weigh up others beliefs even if they have a hard time understanding them.

I think it applies anywhere in the world, not just in the UK.

jmh - while there is no seperation of church and state, the "National Curriculum" defines what needs to be taught in various subject areas and a church school is required to teach evolution in biology regardless.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One benefit of no separation of church and state in Europe is that official churches -- as just another extension of government -- get as much attention and respect as do other government agencies.

When I first lived in England, lo these many years ago, I was shocked to find that if a vicar featured in a TV show or play, inevitably he'd be a comic character. Like a tax collector, a fire warden, or any other well-meaning bumbler, vicars of the C of E were not to be taken seriously. When I asked an English friend about this, I was told that you can always tell when an Englishman is serious about God -- he converts to Catholicism.

Similarly, when I lived in Germany, people were quite content to support religion with tax money as long as nobody asked them to actually go to church more than two or three times in a lifetime. Generally, in almost every place I've lived except the United States, churches are for being born, getting married, dying, and being a child.

Only here in the US, where there is no state religion, is so much public attention paid to whether someone goes to church and which church he goes to. Unlike every other modern democracy [most of which don't ban religious tests for government service as does our Constitution], only we devote so much hand-wringing about family values as exemplified by going to church. Since most Europeans stop paying attention to religion about the same age as they stop paying attention to Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny, most Europeans consider the never-ending public bleating about religion as the most infantile aspect of our society.

I have to admit I agree with them. On the average, I'm in church around three times a week, but I have never given a crap which church any elected official attends or whether he or she attends at all -- or whether or not he even believes in God. I was brought up to believe that a person's religion [and how serious it was to him] was something not to be asked about or challenged, and that I should never have to answer questions about my religious beliefs. Perhaps it was just my neighborhood in West Texas where this circumspection was important, but it seemed that eveyone considered it impolite to talk about anyone's religious fervor.

And whatever happened to THAT aspect of American culture? Well, in modern America, religion -- like patriotism -- has been reduced to a club to beat someone over the head with in the name of "traditional American values."

7. pettyfog

Gee, I hate to counter Don's point with just a single statement but here's my opinion.
    People, even the religious, care less now about other peoples religion than they ever did.

Now back to the point... this guy was hounded out of his post not because of what he said, which was perfectly reasonable in a liberal academic environment, but what other people SAID he said.

And I fell for it, too!

I think when evolution/darwinism is being taught and a pupil raises his objection, or opposing view, it is perfectly GOOD educational process to discuss it.