NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tim, Apr 30, 2012.

1. tim

tim Active Member

We're off and running in round two. Who's everyone pulling for?

As for me, I'm a lifelong Kings fan and am undoubtedly pleased with what I've seen so far.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

My B's are already out. :crying-yellow:

3. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

Hockey ended in February for me when the Canadiens were definitely out of it. Hockey doesn't matter until the draft when we have the #3 pick.

I guess I will root for whoever plays the Flyers. The Bruins are already out so no rooting interest against them there lol.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm a lifelong (their's, not mine) Caps fan. I can't believe we knocked off Boston. The knock on Washington since they've been good is that they're not built for the playoffs. Somehow Hunter has gotten through to them to change the way they play....even the notorious Alexander Semin. Now if Ovechkin (our captain, no less) would just buy in....we might make a run.

A good friend of mine here is a Kings fan, so I've gotten in the habit of rooting for them after watching so many of their playoff games over beers with him the last couple of years. It didn't hurt that they played the team I hate above all others...the Vancouver Canucks in the first round. The Canucks are a blight on hockey. In fact, they're quite a bit like chelsea...uber-talented, yet they resort to diving & dirty, cheapshotting tactics far too often. Seeing those bastards get dumped out in 5 in the first round was great.

In fact, with the Caps winning and the Wings, Pens and Nucks going out early, it was pretty much a perfect first round from my perspective.

5. MisterF

MisterF New Member

As much as I like soccer, hockey is my #1 love. There is nothing like NHL playoff hockey. I'm a massive Blue Jackets fan but this year (as with most) we were out of it by November. :-|

This year I'm rooting for the Flyers. Love the way they play and they have one of my favorite ex-Jackets Jake Voracek. Also, rooting for Phoenix who are basically the Southwest Blue Jackets with ex-players like Rusty Klesla, Vermette, Ray Whitney, Raffi Torres and Gilbert Brule.

Rooting against the KIngs since we get their draft pick this year and they have that worthless bum Jeff Carter. Also hate the Preds just because they're division rivals.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Tim, props to the Kings beating the Blues again. My Bro-in-Law is a huge Kings fans and is loving this playoff run. Can't say I'm much of a hockey fan, but gotta feel happy for the long suffering LA fans.

7. tim

tim Active Member

Fantastic to hear there are couple others here backing the Kings.

It's been a great run so far, although the second and third periods last night were enough to cause some anxiety. Then again, if it wasn't chippy, rough, a little dirty, and on edge, it wouldn't be the NHL playoffs.

8. tim

tim Active Member

Well, my Kings are in the finals. First time since 1993, when a little-known up-and-comer named Wayne Gretzky was wearing silver and black.

A perfect 8-0 on the road in the playoffs. And with the Lakers and Clippers both out, this may just turn into a hockey town. COYK!

9. SoCalJoe

Congrats Tim!! My brother-in-law was loving life last night. For all the die-hard, long suffering Kings fan that OT goal had to be amazing to witness. The rest of us band wagoners hope they can win 4 more games.

10. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Would be rooting for the Kings if they didnt have that bum Jeff Carter

11. SoCalJoe

After pulling off two overtime wins in Jersey, the Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick looks like he broke the will of the Devils last night. They threw the kitchen sink at him last night early, the kid saved everything, then the Kings scored, and the Devils visibly slowed down. 15-2 record in the playoffs, for an 8th seed???

12. AggieMatt

If Sutter had coached the team all year instead of them being saddled with Terry Murray, they wouldn't be anywhere near an 8 seed. They were favored to contend with SJ for the division before the season started. And that was before Quick caught fire like he did this year.

13. tim

tim Active Member

Had the privilege and pleasure of attending last night. After 23 years of supporting a team, I can't describe what it's like to see them play (and win in the most convincing fashion) a Finals game.

Matt's dead-on. Sutter's been brilliant in getting this team playing to the potential we'd long heard they had, but had never really seen. The high tempo, aggressive tactics, and the line combinations he's brought have made a huge difference. And MisterF is not going to like to hear it, but Jeff Carter has made a big difference too. Even when he isn't putting the puck in the net, he gives the team a ton of depth. The Kings have two excellent top lines now, and over the course of a game, that will wear down a defence. The entire team ends up benefitting as a result. And Quick? What can you say. The guy's going to win the Conn Smythe, the first of many, many trophies this guy's going to win in his career.

14. AggieMatt

Prior to the last two games, I'd have disagreed on Carter. He got on the puck enough, but was a bit like Dembele, no end product. Most of his touches end in turnovers, blocked shots, or shots woefully off net. He's not been bad per se, but just didn't look like his old self.

Kopitar is having the breakout run among the forwards, especially in the Finals. That line, w/Brown and Williams has been hot for most of the postseason. And you can't discount the contributions of the third and fourth lines. King, Nolan, Frasier, etc have worked their socks off and given NJ no rest.

I'll be shocked if they don't wrap it up tonight. Hope so, as I'll be watching with some LA folk at a pub here tonight.

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The best post championship clinching ceremony in sports, imho. What must it feel like to skate around with that thing held high overhead? And the playoffs are NAMED after the thing! Just the best. I'll be tuning in just to see that, if it happens tonight. No reason to think that it won't. Love the guys in the coats, ties and white gloves bringing the trophy out onto the ice, too. Goose bump city!

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Credit due to LA, but I throw up in my mouth that they are going to hoist the Cup before the Sharks. Come on Devils!

17. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Season's over. Quick wins Conn Smythe and, of course, the Kings win the Stanley Cup for the first time in franchise history. Congrats to them and their fans.

18. tim

tim Active Member

Not sure what to say here. I attended my first Kings game the week before my 8th birthday. Nothing sweeter than this.

19. SoCalJoe

:clap: Congrats Tim, next round at the F & H is on me.

20. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Congrats to the Kings. Just wish Carter didn't get the Cup. :snooty: