NFL In London

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jmh, Jan 17, 2007.

1. jmh

jmh New Member

http://www.nfllondon2007.com

The NFL plans to kick off a series of competitive games in foreign countries with a game in London this coming fall. Speculation on TFI is that it will be the Dolphins against the Giants, or possibly the Dolphins against the Bills.

Can they schedule this within a few days of a Fulham home game? Because that would TOTALLY be worth a trip across the pond (if it was the Giants playing, anyway).

2. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

The game is going to be played in Wembley, most likely on a Sunday, and the NFL is smart enough to not schedule against the major teams in London, so it's possible.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Hmm...I feel bad for some of the fans. Is there any place to tailgate? Most English fans have no clue what tailgating is. It would be lovely for some of the American fans making the trip to show them what it's all about, but I doubt they'll be bringin their grills over.

4. BC

BC New Member

Being rugby people, I'm sure they'll wonder why the hell we wear so many pads.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Update: For those who might be interested in buying tickets for this, they have registration open for a pre-sale to be held sometime this spring.

http://www.nfllondon2007.com/tickets/

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Re: RE: NFL In London

Rugby is a very different game, a player may only take a 5-10 hits in a game of Rugby, but in American Football the line will hit each other ever 45 seconds!

In the UK, NFL has been watched by a large minority for years. I went to the first world bowl final at Wembley when the London Monarchs won. I have followed Dallas since I was a kid as my Dad gave me a cap from a trip to the lone star state.

When I was at school everyone had a team (Redskins, Bears, 49ers and Steelers were popular) much like Fulham, Dallas were rubbish!

I think there is a genuine interest in the UK for the sport and there are a number of amature leagues around the place.

7. BC

BC New Member

RE: Re: RE: NFL In London

I was just kidding :). That comment stemmed from my brief semester of university study at Aberdeen. I played American football in college and so I thought I might give rugby a go while I was overseas. When I approached the rugby captain and he found out I played American football, his first question was "why the hell do you all wear so many pads?"

That's awesome that many in the UK follow NFL. Now as a reverse of the Fulham situation, when will the first Englishman play for an NFL team? (or has it already happened and I missed it?)

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

BC, where did you play football in college?

9. BC

BC New Member

Wabash College. Division III.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Not a shabby program!

Wonder if you'd heard of Pete Dawkins... he was All-American at Army then went to Oxford and played Rugby for the time he was there, as I recall he was pretty good.

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

How did you get on with rugby? I love watching, but stopped playing when I left school. Which position do/did you play in US Footie?

?I have a feeling that there was a British kicker who played for one of the New York teams in the 80's?

12. BC

BC New Member

Actually, I chickened out and didn't go out for the rugby club in Aberdeen. I was not used to hitting other dudes without pads.

I was a running back in American football.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

You could have played on the wing, you only have to pretend to tackle there! The wing was my favourite position - although I often had to play fly half - you really had to tackle there and many times some hairy sod would trample over me.