NASL/USL Stuff

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

AC St. Louis names Steve Ralston as their first roster player and assistant coach.

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

It's a good move by A.C. St. Louis. Ralston is also going to be a assistant coach according to the local media. I think this is a smart move, because it could transition into a head coaching gig when he hangs it up.

3. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Wonder if they'll make a bid for Taylor Twellman. Not sure what his contract status is at the Revs, but he is another local boy in the twilight of his career.

4. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Brad, I'm working at a small charity auction this Saturday for a charity which Jeff Cooper is a supporter. I'm hoping there will be some season tickets up for bid, and I can get a bargain. If that doesn't pan out, I guess I'll by them at retail.

You getting tickets?

5. stlouisbrad

I'm probably going to start with some sort of partial plan, untill I see how well the soccer park will be organized for this. I've heard a few horror stories about Athletica games, so I want to see how well they manage the large crowd.

6. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Lets hope they can actually draw a large crowd.

You're right, the soccer park is not well suited for big crowds. The high school final four matches typically draw 5,000 or more, and they are always a bitch to navigate...parking is non-existent, no good way to get into and out of the place (i.e., no sidewalks on the roads, etc.). But, its always fun.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm actually going to check out Crystal Palace Baltimore this season. I had been getting half-season tickets to DCU the last couple seasons, but since:
    1) I live 15 mins away from where CPB plays, rather than 45 mins from RFK
    2) Ticks are $16 per game, or $11 per game for the season, rather than double that
    3) CPB will now play Puerto Rico, Rochester, Vancouver, Montreal, and other talented teams; teams that give MLS teams trouble, there shouldn't be a noticeable drop in level
    4) Compared to RFK, the 3800 seat stadium they play in now isn't exactly worse, just bad in different ways

8. stlouisbrad

I made it out to my first AC St. Louis game last night to see them take on Crystal Palace Baltimore. They sold out their opener with roughly 6,500 fans, but yesterday only had about 3,000 fans. There was heavy rain predicted, so maybe that kept people away. I thought the quality was good, and it was great to see pro soccer back in the city. AC St. Louis ended up getting the game’s only goal on a header in the first minute. It was kind an ugly play. It was AC's first win of the young season.

There are two main supporter groups for the team and they let them get away with a lot. The knights who are mostly made up of Bosnians were setting off smoke bombs and firecrackers regularly. Both of the groups were also very vocal.

I’m definitely going to be a regular at the games.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's good. And good for you!
    ---------------------------------------------
    As to shenanigans:

Keep us posted.

As long as they dont throw bottles or anything hard at players.. only Toronto is allowed that. Usually no one is allowed firecrackers in MLS.

Smoke Bombs are okay, unless you're the crew. Then it has to be supervised, unless you're a visiting TFC fan..
    - course there's prolly a lot of Bosnians there, too

Streamers into the corner is fine.. at BMO any number.. and only a few at Crew Stadium.