My Turn to QUIT!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokin', Jan 30, 2008.

1. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I'm have written this mini biography as a way to vent and in hopes of attracting some good advice.

Im in a bind which goes a little something like this:

I hate my job. Well one of my jobs. As of today, I work for the US gov't and have done so for over 5 years. I originally took this job as a knee jerk reaction to the imfamous 9/11 attacks. At that time I was self employed living the life of freelance consultancy in just about anything IT, mostly web presence stuff. In the weeks after the attacks my prospective business disappeared and for good reason. It was @ this time that I had some medical issues that I thought, at the time, would be most thoroughly treated if I had medical insurance... Enter the Civil Service exam... ugh...

I started out doing clerical work. Paper pushing in a paper factory. I hated it and noticed many procedures that were dated and inefficient. I made mention of these issues and was quickly brought to meetings / seminars about quality control, assurance, and efficiency standards. Apparently I brought alot to the table. I created and helped deploy various computer programs that enabled users across the country to not only work better, faster, but with less waste and paper etc.

I spent the better part of a year touring the federal circut traveling to different parts of the country conducting training and presentations.

My achievements made it to the national level of executives. In 2005 I was nominated for federal employee of the year. In the past two years I have continued to modernize the the way work is done in my organization, I was promised a permanent position, a team was assembled, and I had trained them.

skip ahead today...

AS with most fed positions, each position created is sent out to the public for open competition. The job promised to me is no exception. To my surprise... not really, I was overlooked. I will not be getting the job that I not only created, but I put 5 years of my life into. Sucks for me....

My issue:

My other job is a part time Adjunct professor job. I'm faculty at the local community college teaching kids how to edit in Final Cut Pro and Avid. The job also functions as a assistant studio engineer both radio and television. Its a great job, but is only seasonal, and is only a partime job, unless I can muster up another 5 years of education.

I plan to go back to school, I didnt complete my bachelors degree, so I intend to do that with higher sites on continuing my education.

The current job that I am in is manipulating me into continuing the work that I do without compensation. On top of that, they want me to quit my second job.

Basically, I need to quit. My mind quit months ago when I saw the writing on the wall. I've been sending in my resume to various places only to realize that its difficult for me to convey my skills on paper.

My thoughts... If I can find a way to make 500 bucks a week, I can swing my debt, and expenses at least until may without being in the red.

I can cash out my 403(b) and live off whats left over after taxes... UGH.

I'm not sure what to do. This news changed the direction I'm headed in. I've never been nervous about this...

Hope this made sense.

2. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Cashing out your 403b is not a good idea (I assume you are fully vested though after 5yrs) and seems a bit short-sighted.
    That money should stay where it is. There will be another way at some point.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The Fed system doesn't handle well people with more talent and capability than their resume shows; it kills them in the IT sector constantly, which is why so much of the IT work is outsourced now (they put bids out to companies/groups and they themselves can freely hire non-degree talent).

Best bet would be to try to hook up with one of the Federal IT or Process Consulting firms. They'll at least talk to you, based upon your experience, though it will help if they're familiar with some of what you've done.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Smokin' -- sounds like your heart is already out the door; might as well let your ass follow it. It seems as if you're eminently employable, and the 40-years-and-a-gold-watch days are over anyhow. So, go for it.

I always tell folks such as yourself two things in this situation:

1. A career is not a prison sentence; you don't have to put in a certain number of years in order to earn parole.
    2. When you make your move, be sure you're moving TOWARDS something rather than AWAY from something.

Oh, and one thing I learned when I got out of the consulting business and went back into corporate America: pay for your medical and dental out of your own pocket. People get stuck in jobs they hate more because of the benefits than the salary.

Good luck on the job hunt.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Very GOOD advice... and re-read some of my post on 'Career Advice' too.

As Don implied, when looking for the next, dont berate the previous. You're allowed to say that you saw no future there, but don't go on the blame game.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I'd love to keep my 403(b), but if I stop working here, its gotta go somewhere.

its one of those benefits that will enslave me here. Besides, i'm 30, well almost. If i dont take out the money I will be unemployed with monthly liabilities, which would just put me further in debt and put MUCH MORE pressure on me to find a new job and quick.

I dont plan on spending it all. But the fact of the matter is, lets say I have 5k in debt. I'm paying @ 15%.... how is my retirement working for me if I can't pay my bills now? Why not pay them off NOW so the credit card interest stops, the monthly payments stop, and when I DO get a new job, I can actually save real money.

If I only had rent and a car payment, I would knock my monthlies to just under 1300 from @ 2100.

Am I delusional?

I'm truly happy that you guys decided to field this post. I need to find a way to translate my best skills to paper so that I can find the most lucrative job within my stress level.

Resume writing, although simple in theory, is apparently an art that I do not understand.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Pettyfog is good with resumes. He helped me with mine. Perhaps he can help you out as well.

I feel for you Smokin'. Sounds like you got the short end of the stick and in a sense are being hung out to dry. I am not going to say too much more as I am not sure if my work monitors what I say on here.

Good luck my friend!

8. jaxcottager

jaxcottager New Member

Smokin,
    Don't let your 403(b) tie you down, 403(b). If you leave, you can take the vested amount with you to your new employer's plan be it a 401(k) or a 403 (b) or roll it to an IRA. These things happen to be my line of work. If I can help you out with some info, I'd be happy to.
    Have you ever considered the financial services industry?

9. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Heh, your the third person to ask me that. I feel like I have to sell insurance to my friends or something.

: ) I'm open to anything really, I dont know much about it and whenever I inquire I feel like I'm being recruited to a pyramid scheme. I may be wrong.

I'm open to any information. Feel free to PM me.