Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Since one of our esteemed members is quite busy playing gigs (plug away HD), a misc. music thread w/concert reviews, new bands to look out for, etc. was necessary. Really fired up to see the Foo Fighters tonight, and digging the fact that it's old school at a great place to see a show (the Lakers former home The Forum). Will give an honest review manana.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Ah man, I would dig to see the Foos at the Forum. Let me know how they are these days - I last saw them play in 1996, but just watched portions of Back and Forth again and wish I'd have caught them in the bay area w/in the past few days.

The last "major" (and I use the term loosely) show we attended (and this is coming from a couple of music fiends - funny how a couple little ones impact that aspect of your life!) was The Kooks about 2 years ago. We still drop in to see "Band X" at local joints and parks and totally enjoy it - probably more so now than before.

I haven't caught any new music since LCD Soundsystem's last album dropped - I'm sure others can fill me in on recent recommendations.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Bad news for you guys -- talk about "plug away, HD -- but last night was our second night in the recording studio. We're hoping to have our second CD out by Spring. Don't worry; we're not going to market it as agressively. Basically, what we'll do is try to get it into the hands of bands that actually -- you know -- get airplay and such and see if we can get somewhere as songwriters.

Of course, we'll have a couple of CDs available for sale at gigs, natch.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the new record, HD...Take it Outside came across my music player's random option a couple of weeks ago.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I saw the Foo Fighters at Lollapalooza back in August. Pretty awesome hearing everyone singing My Hero in the pouring rain. I was soaked after Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7f0FqFyLA

As for some other random suggestions:

Thrice (my current avatar) - They just put out a new album called Major/Minor which is decent. Their last album, Beggars, still my favorite. Sort of an alternative rock band that can get a little heavier at times.

The Naked & Famous - An indie rock/electropop band from New Zealand that I knew nothing about before seeing them at Lolla. Have been semi-obsessed with them since and I am seeing them next Monday at the Henry Fonda Theare.

The Horrible Crowes - If you know The Gaslight Anthem, who I also highly recommend, this is the side project of the leader singer. A little "lighter" version of The Gaslight Anthem. I saw them last month at Troubadour and it was pretty good.

6. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

The last major music act I saw was Dead Prez in 2008 and that was only because they played before the antiwar demonstration in Denver. I haven't even been to a local punk show since then.

I hear the big thing in the music industry is still Lil Wayne. How garbage.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Re: Music - Foos

Last post before duty calls, but had to get a quick review of the Foo Fighters last night...What a GREAT rock and roll show. Guitars, guitars, and more guitars backed by a solid bassist and one of the best drummers in the business. Had big expectations, and they met & surpassed them. Such energy and non pretention, you feel like you could kick it with them at a bbq and you wouldn't know they were rock stars. I also loved the fact they chose to go old school and play The Forum instead of Staples. The sound at the old building is better than the glitzy new palace (no middle deck w/corporate suites). Foos played for almost 3 hours and besides all their amazing songs they covered Tom Petty's 'Breakdown' and a song off of Pink Floyd's The Wall (not sure of the song title, but 'Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel...'). All in all a HUGE THUMB"S UP :!:

*Thanks for posting that video Lax.

**Congrats Don on recording the new album!!