More than you ever wanted to know about anything..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Can be found on Wiki and in the weirdest subject pages:

Was watching one of those "Top Ten" segments on ESPN, called Honor roll for college running backs, I think, and right after Archie Griffin, they took a time out and featured the Ohio State Marching band.

Things I found out: Script Ohio was actually inspired by MICHIGAN doing a block OHIO on the field in Ann Arbor.. you all know the rest, I'm sure, but I didnt know that.

Well, I dont really care much for Marching Bands.. even OSU's, unless they are playing John Philip Sousa and playing it inside... but I wanted to find out more. So I went to Wiki and verified the michigan thing..

Well, the important thing to me, it turned out, was that
    'Hang On Sloopy' wasnt original with the Dayton group "The McCoys" and that I had seen that group perform as "Rick and the Raiders" several times -in bars, of course, {I never knew that.. or maybe I was drunk} before the hit and that doing the song wasnt really their idea.

The two songs that bracketed 'Hang On Sloopy' on the Billboard #1:
    "Eve of Destruction"
    and
    "Yesterday"

Hang on Sloopy is the unofficial, official Rock Song of the State of Ohio... sorta...

Maybe they should sub-title Wikipedia as the "Alice's Restaurant" of information. Like I said, 'you can get anything you want...'

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and you knew, of course Senor Muppetto, that the Rick of Rick and the Raiders was Rick Derringer, the artist of perhaps the best quality one-hit wonder of all time: "Rock 'n Roll Hoochie Koo"

Did somebody say, "keep on rockin'?"

3. pettyfog

Oh... i knew Rick Derringer {Zehringer}, but somehow didnt connect him with Rick and the Raiders.. Or, like I said, synapses may have been pickled at the time..

AFTER the McCoys, used to see him at the "Diamond Club" in Dayton... where he was a 'mid-tier' attraction.. less than Fats domino or Mitch Ryder, but more than the local cover bands.. some of whom were REALLY good value for money.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Did a lot of time in cover bands; beats the crap out of "tribute bands" that they have now. Good fun playing rock in them days. Pretty good doing it now, come to think of it.

5. pettyfog

Damn right... the cover bands had FUN! And the audience (or horn-dog drunks) had fun with 'em. We didnt care if they departed a few bars (music-wise) and sometimes the arrangements were better than the original.
    And we CERTAINLY didnt mind the lyric departures... thought they gave the chicks ideas...
    Editorial Note: Dirty lyrics were private then and it was for US!!! not plastered and played every freakin plce you turned around!!!!

And in the sixties, the good ones had a real wurlitzer...

As to Rick, boy that reads really stupid of me. look at it this way... before McCoys I was single and didnt really look or care. and was really checking chicks or ordering a beer.

AFTER.. then I was married. so I paid more attention to the band