Moderate Muslim Watch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 27, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No... most muslims appreciate diversity, especially when they move to a western country.
    But that is not always easy to express:

Readers Forum: Message of Islam is not jihad, fatwahs
    Here's how his Mosque's congregation feels about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbkrKH7SCio&eurl=
    Meanwhile... Yusuf Islam is up for a Nobel Prize. That's the artist formerly known as peace-luvin', dope smoking Cat Stevens* to us geezers.

I'm gratified to know he's against killing Salman Rushdie or Hirsi Ali for blasphemy... unless it happens in a country under Islamic Law.

Then it would be ok... because it maintains the peace of Islam.

* Changed by correction from Don..because I confused my dope smokers.... heh.

Never mind then.... since I got it wrong, the whole point is bogus.
    ;)

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, to geezers who are interested in facts, Youssaf Islam is the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens. Donovan was Irish. But, hey. Who's paying attention.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

tomato, tomatto. If he used to smoke dope, he not only is now a terrorist, but used to be a communist. Right, Petty?

But back to your point, it seems quite difficult for Muslims to find and express moderation in their religion. Troubling.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

actually, it's not. What's difficult is that once they do, they hardly ever get quoted in American English-language newspapers.

Your attention is invited to a series of articles with moderate Muslim leaders recently featured in BILD -- German daily paper.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I strongly disagree - most Muslim's i've met are moderate in the same way Christians who regulally attend church are, they have their beliefs and are whole hearted in them.

The biggest problem is that a minority of 'western' muslims feel the need to stand out and be different. Muslims from Muslim countries do not live their lives through the identity of being Muslim as they are safe in their identity.

Most western Muslims assimilate into there environement they have chose to live in. A small minority - often young men - feel the need to tell you they are Muslims and that you must respect them, even though they are often extreemly disrepectful of anyone else's belief.

I cannot back this up with figures and quote, it is just by observations in life thus far. When I was a student I live in the middle of a large Muslim area. Most of my neigbours were good people and the local cleric came and welcomed us. We only ever had trouble with 18-22 year olds.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

A common problem in any culture. Yo comprendo, amigo. (I understand, friend.) I think I am having a not uncommon problem with many these days: understanding the muslim condition.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

a worthy area of study for you PCB, but beware, in addition to an open mind, bring a huge notepad. Labirynthian, thy name is Islam.

8. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Islam is very moderate. But sadly, many regimes all over the Islamic world are using pre-Islamic thinking and saying they comply with the Quran. For example: Saudi Arabia. A women who is married can speak to any man she wants to speak with. Not that bull$h1t the royal family is spewing. That's Pre-Islamic Arabian culture coming in. Very sad.

Support Pan-Islamic Leftism!!!