MLS Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Nov 26, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Sounders expansion draft picks.

2. IanHux

IanHux New Member

There are some ok picks here. Others though are just.... I have no idea what Hanaeur was thinking when he made them.

Picks I like: Jaqua - He'll make a good big man little man partnership with Le Toux
    Brad Evans - He has some pretty good potential
    Khano Smith - if he's consistent he'll do well

Picks I'm not sure about: Tyson Wahl
    James Riley
    Stephen King
    Nathan Sturgis

Picks that are hair-brained: Peter Vagenas
    Jarrod Smith
    Jeff Parke

Mixed reactions. At least the roster will get better with the USL players coming up and perhaps some more international signings. Hopefully we have a competitive team come March.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Guarantee you like Evans... theugh he'll cause teeth-gnashing, gives up ball to start at least one dangerous counter per game. Then makes up for it later.

Vagenas.. the mark of sigi coming.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Figure Stephen King will make for a scary back line?:3d nervous:

Sorry couldn't pass it up...

I'm not seeing a whole lot there so Seattle's going to have to come up with some good signings otherwise should they wish to be competitive.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And, yet I was able to resist a comment about Peter V. :shock:

6. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well hopefully they'll bring up their rock solid USL tandem of Taylor Graham and Danny Jackson (I think thats who). I'm not entirely too scared because a lot of trades and moves can still happen.

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Evans should be a half decent acquisition. But this whole system bothers me. It's hard for teams to gel and for "team legends" to be born when you are considered a long timer after being with a club for 2+ seasons.

It was kind of annoying to listen to the MLS Cup to hear that damn near everyone on the pitch had played for either Columbus of NYRB/Metrostars at one point in their careers. I guess I'm just old school and love people like McBride who do their time with a team.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

QD: Part of that was because for years, about 05 to 07, NY and Clb were the two most dysfunctional teams in the East, if not the entire league.

9. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Taylor Graham was terrible in New York. One of the worst defenders we've ever had. Maybe some added time un USL-1 has done him some good.

10. IanHux

IanHux New Member

It must have because he's a huge fan favorite in Seattle. Perhaps his game is more suited to the USL though. We'll have to see which USL players make the MLS Sounders.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

True, but this is hardly unique to the MLS. Chris Coleman was our manager Thanksgiving two years ago. Of the 11 who started against Liverpool on Saturday, only Deuce, Davies, and Bullard played for him. And none of those three was with the club THREE Thanksgivings ago. It's just a thing. We're all basically rooting for laundry rather than players over the long term.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

On the other hand, I think you see more successful clubs maintaining more consistency with their rosters. (Which is cause and which is effect is up for debate, I suppose.) Chelsea have a core (Cech, Carvalho, Lampard, Terry, J. Cole, Ferreira) that's been together for five years; Liverpool the same (Hyppia, Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher); ManU too (Neville, Ferdinand, Brown, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, O'Shea).

13. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Jeff Parke will be a capable CB for Seattle once his suspension is up. Though it may give RBNY more cap room to play with.

Isn't Jaqua looking to go to Europe soon, or am I thinking of someone else?

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Jaqua just came back from Europe and Parke is potentially looking to go there.

15. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Seriously. Parke to Europe? Maybe in lower league, I can see it. But Parke's a good MLS player, a great defender for RBNY; I don't see him landing in Europe from what I've seen. Maybe he can take it to the next level?