MLS Cup 2009: REAL Salt Lake v. Los Angeles GALAXY

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 22, 2009.

?

Who wins MLS Cup 2009 Tonight?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2009.
  1. REAL Salt Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. L.A. GALAXY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hopefully tonight's game gets a good crowd. The higher seed should get homefield in order to generate an atmosphere. It was nice to see quite a bit of coverage of the game by the local media here.

Hoping for an open match. I'll go with the Galaxy 2-1. The Beckham experiment has had its' share of negatives, but give the man credit where credit is due. He is a resilent SOB.

I have a question...how in the hell as Donovan won multiple Honda Player of the Year awards, but just got his first MLS MVP? :?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Every web prediction says 2-1, including the EA XBox simulation where LA wins.

Hard to argue with the score, but I'm going on a limb and saying RSL.

I'm going Further on that limb and saying it will actually be a good game, with RSL only going bunker in the last minutes.
    Interesting notes:
    Sigi gets pneumonia promoting the cup.

Rumors of STEVE SAMPSON and Chivas....

Oh. please... stick a fork in him!

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Even I can admit, the Final deserves its own heading (and look, I cared enough to spell it right.)

I'm seeing stars and falling for all of the bright lights, GALAXY complete the transition into the most well-known current soccer club from North America tonight (and for now 2nd most well-known ever from N.A.). And whether you like him or not, Beckham has been instrumental in that transition.

If they lose? Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

?

SCJ, I didn't realize that about Donovan. I can only guess that his performances for the USMNT are more likely to be broadcast in prime time that those for the Galaxy. You know, the same thing that keeps west coast college pointy football and basketball teams underrated as compared to their midwestern and southern rivals.

I'm looking forward to watching this. Since ABC has some sort of armpit sniffing awards going on, I can get the TV away from Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. Gonna break out the Diet Dr. Pepper and popcorn for sure!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

or, as the Italians like to call it, David Beckham's last pre-season match.

I go with 2-1 to the Gals, but COME ON YOU MORMONS!

6. pettyfog

Bingo! Except it really aint about prime time.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

<--- Is pretty pumped for this one. I had a fair amount of success following Seattle from 3 time zones away, but I am glad for the final.

I'm not too happy that RSL has lost more than they have won and are a game away from the championship. That kicks 3-4 months worth of games right in the ass for me. Apparently the MLS is going to expand their way out of this setup, so I guess I should be patient and my distaste for the come one, come all playoffs will go away. Right now, though, I can't stomach it, and RSL should not be champs.

But I can't bring myself to support the Galaxy. Oh well. I'm still up for a cracker of a game, I hope.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

will our children all be sporting Kyle Beckerman haircuts by Christmas?

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

HERETIC!!!! AWAY WITH YOU!!!

Although it would be worse if they all had his first touch -- that would be scary. And not in a good way.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Oh jeez. Mandon is gone and Landycakes is back.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I quite enjoyed this mini-series. Of course I would have enjoyed it more with a different announcing crew, but ... .

My men of the match are: Kyle Beckerman for RSL and Gregg Berhalter for The Gals. Each was dominating for the whole 120. I also thought that Mathis was very good as was Beckham. Aside from his field goal, Donovan looked pretty good also. I was very pleased to see Kirovski playing so well as a holding mid. Who knew? I was very impressed with Borchers and Russell for being the best of what was a pretty solid RSL defense.

Biggest contrast? Buddle the Muddle for Galaxy & Findlay for RSL. The latter always looked dangerous; the former looked like a statue on wheels.

Big ups for all three goalkeepers. I have been rather dismissive of MLS 'keepers recently, but all of them looked quick, decisive, and brave -- and Raimondo won the cup for RSL by getting into everyone's heads.

I know the Brits and the Eurosnobs will snort at the match and the league, but the last 30 minutes of regular time and the 30 minutes that followed were more full of incident and commitment than you'll see in most Premier League matches. Very entertaining.

Or, as the Italians would have it, David Beckham's last pre-season match. :shock:

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Congrats to Oms, RSL were totally deserving. They were missing that little bit of quality in the final third or it would have been over in regulation.

We all know what happened to Donovan in the pks...he was only able to perform a "quickie" on his ridiculous pre-shot routine :shock: In all seriousness he's been getting away with mediocre pks for awhile and was totally due to miss one...but damn that was ugly.

13. pettyfog

That was a good game, and it's why playoffs exist. Last year, 8 seed lucked their way through and were shown up at the end. This #8 is different; they wont be going first to worst.

Look at it this way... Both belonged in the final because of how they got there. RSL got there by building on their late Mo and beating the Season Best.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Cups of Cake,
    Cakes no Cup,
    Lookout row Z!
    Cake's PK is still going up, up, up!!

My M.O.M. was Findley. If he had a better first touch, that match would have been over before regulation, and he would soon be a distant MLS memory.

Shades of Davies there with that kid. Don't you think Bob??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Findley

15. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

All and all a good game, but I hate to see anything settled on PK's.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Would it be a stretch to say Beckerman was a maestro in midfield? The Galaxy didn't have any answers.

Speaking of answers, where was LD? I'm not talking about his PK (or that stupid ceremony), but he was a non-factor for most of the match. Maybe the tactics completely bypassed him, but the nation's "best" player and team captain needs to take title games by the scruff of the neck. Beckerman did, LD didn't.

17. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

(please don't confuse that with a Max Bretos yes)

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It sounds JUST LIKE IT in my head though.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I was excited for RSL - for the young coach, and for the underdog. Good story.

LA do too much tootin' of their own horn, so I was happy to see them lose. Also - Bruce Arena is a total tool...

20. pettyfog