MLS: ChUSA v RSL - Wanna arva larf?!!!!

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 13, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Pay attention to MLS new CD Chivas franchise during the upcoming season.

SOME looked with raised eyebrows when this team was proposed by Chivas' ownership, because it was apparently flying in the face of MLS' stated aim to promote home-grown talent.... though perhaps NAFTA figures in.

THEN Chivas hired Tomas {W}Rongen to coach and we wondered what the connection could be with a dutch guy who we didnt know spoke spanish and who took DC United's Bruce Arena-built club to the bottom of the table despite having to try hard to do it.

And now we know that 3 of the vaunted -hasbeen or wannabe- mehican players have gone awol on him.

Now... I know that there's some pretty good players in Mexico but I always felt the quality of the league and their National team was a little overrated.

While there's NO doubt about it that Mexico could actually WIN the World Cup; to do so, the rules would have to be changed so that all their games were played at Azteca Stadium... where the atmosphere of mile-high rarified oxygen, hydrocarbon pollution, and flying urine bags would be a great motivator.

But, back to the subject, the CONCEPT was that this would bring the hispanic fan into the MLS ticket-buyer market. Well, we'll see about that.

I dont doubt there'll be a lot of hispanics in Crew Stadium the first time that Chivas comes to town... but I wonder if there will be nearly as many the SECOND time. Because, if the Crew plays well at all, they're gonna see their team lose.

Seems a shame that LA has two teams.. perfect derby fodder.. both of which hired managers with spotty records.. but AT LEAST Steve Sampson speaks Spanish!

And no-one else in MLS is looking with dread at playing either team... it's the Salt Lake Royals they are worried about.

2. pettyfog

UPDATE: fizzle, POP?

FC Dallas get Chivas USA's goat in win

This despite what had been Galaxy's main draw for hispanic fans -Ruiz- playing for Dallas.. should have been a good matchup.

Note: Ruiz was booed, by those who DID show up, at each and every occasion... as if the trade was at his request. Shows a hint of the parochialism and difficulty of attracting the Hispanic fan.

OTOH: The first Rockies Derby, and home opener for RSL saw 25,287 watch Salt Lake beat Colorado in a sized down football stadium where no beer was sold.

Garber!!! Better think hard about that San Antonio franchise again... remember Miami!

3. pettyfog

And I aint the only one who's chortling...

Here's a good article by Matchnight's Scott Tann

Well.. Chivas is trying hard to become the team you love to hate... even more for me, than the Fire or DC U

Is a made to order hooligan chant for all the opponents' fans