MLB 2022…

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Feb 16, 2022.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@jumpkutz Your pitchers/catchers report countdown…came and went.

We know the Commissioner of any sport works FOR the owners. However, the great Commissioners are able to walk the tightrope, build consensus on both sides, convince ownership to compromise, and above all ACT FOR the GOOD of the GAME.. Rob Manfred (not going to lie, unless I read an article, I can never remember the buffoon’s name) has never done any of those, and simply is a spineless piece of &$@*that collects obscene paychecks (Manfred’s salary is $11 million, think about that for a second) and is Hellbent to drive the bus over the cliff all the while thinking he’s doing a good job for his bosses. I could rant on about this idiot and the vast majority of scumbags that own teams, but we’ll likely have plenty more time for that.

https://www.talkingchop.com/platfor.../mlb-news-rob-manfred-owners-cba-negotiations

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...-reid-detmers-throws-no-hitter-tampa-bay-rays

@jumpkutz The kid outta U of Louisville Reid Detmers w/the No-No last night (final 3 outs above). He’s only 22, and is just beginning to learn how to pitch at the Big League level.

Low and behold, the Halos finally have a pitching staff/defense worthy of the greatness of Mike Trout (2 HRs last night). Shohei Ohtani is doing things only he can do. It’s early, but it’s nice to feel positive for a change instead of dread.

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Yeah. Surprising. He was very good in college, but I never figured he had the kind of stuff to throw a no-no. Darn near threw a perfect game. If memory serves, I thought he was a reliever at U of L. Guess not. All he's gotta do is stay healthy and keep throwing the ball like that.

4. jumpkutz

We're at the two month mark in the 2022 season, and the inevitable separation of the contenders and pretenders. The Cardinals just swept their first series at home vs. the Padres, who are 3 games behind the Dodgers in the NL West. St. Louis is 3 games behind the Brewers in the Central. The other division leaders are the Mets, Yankees, Minnesota and Houston. Those four are all at least 5 games or more ahead of the second place team. The defending champion Braves are already 10 games behind New York in the NL East. At the other end of the standings, the Reds began the year 3 and 20. They're still last in the Central, but they've improved to 17 and 32, and aren't even the worst team in either league at the moment. That would be the Royals, who have won only 16 games and lost 33 for a .327 win percentage.
    There's still four months of baseball left, so no one's really out of it. But I don't see the Royal's, A's or Nationals getting better soon enough to turn it around. I'm not giving up on Cincinnati yet, but they're the next most likely to be mathematically eliminated. Baseball is the least predictable major American sport, and I love it.

HatterDon likes this.
  5. jumpkutz

I’ll confess to not keeping up as well as I used to with the big leagues in general, which is why I was somewhat surprised to the Phillies cut Joe Girardi loose, and the Angels firing Joe Maddon. I guess they deserved it if their teams were underperforming but, dang, those two have largely been successful, at least until now. I was really hoping the Cardinals would hire Maddon when Tony “retired” after the 2011 world championship.
    What have you done for me lately is still the norm.

BarryWhite likes this.