Mike: Sorry but.... {club v country}

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Jun 6, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The thread on the offish MB surely separates us.

But it made me think... As I say on there,
    Why? Because of the relative effect on footy in the US.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well I'd rather see the USA win a world cup for the simple fact that my country means more to me than my club. Plus I'd never have to hear about how we suck at soccer from people who don't know what there talking about :D.

Its hard to say what the long term effects of a USA cup win would be. Theres a good possibility that it could be very underwhelming.

3. Pape-Bouba

Pape-Bouba New Member

With Macca and Boca on the team sheet how can you fail !!

P.S Will Adu be playing in WC 2010 ? Would be great to see him play internationaly...

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I hope he'll be playing in WC 2010. If he dosen't he'll be one of the bigger bust in history.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The 2010 USA players should be awesome, at the rate they are developing.

We'll still have Donovan in mid, but much better at marshalling the attack than even Reyna.
    Adu, Beasley, Szetela, Onyewu, Conrad, Ed Johnson, Convey, Howard....

6. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

Saw a interview after the USA match against Ghana and he (Adu) talked like he wasn't sure who he wanted to play for in the WC 2010..... When asked the question he wouldn't answer it.....just said he like both teams.....

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think Adu's already been capped at the full level; he couldn't play for Ghana now under the international rules.

Speaking of club v. country. I'd gladly see Fulham and Luton relegated, the San Antonio Spurs disbanded, and the Tim and Bob Show play nothing but Barry Manilow covers if it meant that the USA could win the World Cup.

Why? Because this is a tourny in which a sequence of flukes is impossible. Save 1934's Uruguay victory over Brazil, there hasn't been a fluke. If/When the US wins the World Cup, we will truly be a world soccer power, and I'd give just about anything to see that.

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Adu is still eligible to play for Ghana. Indeed, he's still torn between the two nations, as his discussion with the PTI people proved.

As for the club v country issue, I would choose country every time. For me, I feel more passion for the game when two nations, rather than clubs, play each other in any sport. To put it another way, when Japan (my home nation) was playing Korea in the World Baseball Classic, I felt like there was a lot more at stake from that game than there would be in any Major League games. I think there are a lot more bragging rights involved.