Miami Beach?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Apr 19, 2009.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Anyone here, particularly our Floridians, have any recommendations on what to do in Miami Beach?

Katy and I will be spending the first week in June in Miami Beach (before she heads back to London and I got to NY for another week) and wanted to get to advice on things to do, restaurants, bars, sightseeing, etc.

Thanks

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Just one for you Mike -- wear blinders if Katy is with you -- the scenery is distracting :banana: .

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Or make Katy wear 'em...

4. americanmike

HA!

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

South Beach, Coconut Grove, Jailai, and if you have enough time, a long dive down the Keys.

Good golfing in the area, if you are into that.

Check the net for any events going on.

A couple of authentics you MUST have while there: Cuban Coffee, Cuban Sandwich (or Pork Sandwich if you prefer a little saltier, arguably more flavorful option), and a uniquely south Florida fast food, Pollo Tropical. Get the pollo con arroz y frijoles negros.

All delicious!

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Mike, I have only been there once and for my money, the best people watching and night life is on South Beach. PLEASE wear sunglasses while you are in South Beach, you will stay out of trouble that way as others have suggested.

I basically played Doral and then went straight to South Beach, it was a fine day. :)

7. pettyfog

I'm not a golfer but I know enuff about golf to ask; how do you 'basically play Doral'?
    :big grin:

8. americanmike

We are staying at the Surfcomber in South Beach.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mike, take along plenty of sunscreen for Katy. Those English roses can suffer that harsh sunshine reflecting off the water. Also, plan to take a nap between 4 and 6 in the afternoon. You'll miss most of the thunderstorms/hail storms/tornado watches that way.

Enjoy!

Hey, you couldn't bring her to Texas? I mean, Miami doesn't have The Alamo! 8)

10. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

HA! Good point Fog, when you put it that way....course management maybe??

11. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Cool. Well South Beach has a mixture of high end shopping, outdoor/indoor cafe's facing the beach, night clubs, restaurants, and did I say night clubs???....that are filled with beautiful people, and of course the beach. I always thought that all the beautiful people were on the West Coast but I learned differently when I was there.

Personally, I would never have to leave the place other than to play golf and if I was with my wife/GF I may not even do that.

I have been in the habit of liking the finer things in life, although my definition of that has changed a bit over the years, but we hung out at an outdoor cafe for along time when I was there last, imbibing with adult beverages, admiring the ocean and the strollers who passed by frequently with very little on.

There are plenty of cafe's for reading the paper in the morning and having a morsel why you contemplate what you are going to do that day. It is a great place to relax.

Miami itself I liked mostly. Lots of incredible Spanish Colonial homes and we seem to always find a late night Cuban greasy spoon to soak up the days activities.

As you know, when you are near the ocean, there is never a lack of things to do.

12. americanmike

Think we'll be more in to the chillin on the beach, hangin' out at cafe's (for a beer or 2), going to dinner and then finding a good place to enjoy a few evening cocktails.

13. americanmike

bump :lol:

14. pettyfog

I find everyone on here has given good advice.

Relax
    enjoy the ambience

Especially in an 'exotic' locale.. and exotic is relative to where you normally live. Sounds easy but this is only easily doable when the participants agree. If one side wants to spend the time on a sightseeing itinerary that can be stressful. Some want to see sites, some want to absorb sights.

For me touring landmarks is boring and stresses the timetable... seeing them in their surroundings is far more important. And you can gather a whole bunch more impressions. You could write a whole book on the concept.