Mexico hires Sven

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

3. jmh

jmh New Member

He couldn't possibly be any worse than Sanchez was.

Edit: Wow, that works on two (Hugo) levels (Lawrie).

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

"He couldn't possibly be any worse than Sanchez was.
    Edit: Wow, that works on two (Hugo) levels (Lawrie)."

Awesome.

"Can you make a bullshot? Can you make a shoe smell?"

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

SGE as Mexico's manager REALLY, REALLY scares me. Bradley's not bad, but SGE will coach circles around him. Our undefeated at home stretch is in serious jeopardy.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Somehow, I'm not that worried. Does SGE know anyhting about the style or "tactics" (or the fouling) his new team likes to imploy, or anything about the players? I think he's going to have a lot of adjustment on his hands. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the boot before he gets his team doing what needs to be done in order for Mexico to be "his team." Patience wears very thin down there when it comes to the national team.

Plus, I don't think he did anything special with England.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Exactly! He's gonna be as out of place there as Milutinovic would be at Chelsea.

Heather... you are DA BOMB!

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think "out of place" so much as "in the crosshairs." I can guarantee you that broadcasters and wrtiers are already drafting articles about how much of a disappointment SGE is, and sign painters are getting their SVEN OUT!! brushes. Sooner or later, they'll use them. Knowing Mexico's football history, "sooner" is seriously favored over "later."

However ...

... the fact that Ericksson hasn't got a faction down there, and didn't do anything to get Hugo bounced, means that he hasn't got an opposing faction that wants revenge. So maybe he'll last a bit longer than some others in recent times.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

One interesting note on WC Qualifying. Mexico is in the toughest group. They have to be one of the best two out of Mexico, Jamaica, Canada, and Honduras to even make it to the final qualifying round.

...I would laugh so hard.....

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The US is in trouble. Sven didn't even do that bad with England and it wasn't his fault. It was more the players fault. If he can get Mexico to play lie a team and play decent football, they'll DOMINATE the US.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

About time they had some raw luck in a draw! World Cup, Gold Cup, last round of qualifying they usually get the breaks.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't buy it. Their players aren't significantly more talented than ours.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

But they have the FAR better manager.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Even if that's assumed to be the case, that only goes so far.

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

When you have equal amounts of talent, usualy the manager is what separates the teams. Sven will make Mexico a power.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The maximum time SGE will be w/Mexico is thru the 2010 WC (no matter the result), and now that the qualification cycle is back upon us we'll only play them in qualifiers (1 home, 1 away), so no need to worry about domination.

The fact the WC is being played in a non-Euro country (does anyone really think they won't be there? I know Canada is better, but come on) usually leads to a few surprises and talent-wise the tricolor is capable of reaching the quarters and SGE will ride off a hero.

17. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Oh Crap.

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Sven was up in the stands at Qualcomm (San Diego) taking notes as the early favorite to win the 2010 WC, Argentina crushed Mexico 4-1. That kind of thrashing will buy some time for SGE to implement his style.

19. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Mexico's keeper better warm up.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

I'll believe it when I see it.