Mel Gibson anti-Semitic remarks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kwdawson, Aug 2, 2006.

1. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

What does everyone think about the idiot Mel Gibson and his anti-Semitic remarks towards a Jewish police officer? Gibson gave some excuse that he was drunk which is a bs coverup that everyone uses. Mel Gibson's father is a anti-Semitic so I guess it runs in the family. With this F Up and his horrible Passions movie it looks like his career is over.

2. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Gibson is done. He can apologize all he wants, but this is a case of "forgive but never forget." His reputation is probably damaged beyond repair at this point.

That said, Robert Downey Jr. is still getting roles after all his troubles with the hard stuff, so you never know...

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: Mel Gibson anti-Semitic remarks

Two K's:

Your own bigotries are showing!

Oh, unless you dont believe in freedom of speech... or that one is a product of his times and environment and that it can be overcome...
    We'll see!
    ;)

4. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

As a Member of the Tribe, I'm deeply offended by Mel Gibson's idiocy... Don't get me started on "The Passion" or that some Disney exec thought, "Hey, it would be a really good idea to let Mel Gibson produce a movie about the Holocaust"... I can only imagine how that would have turned out... And c'mon, we knew when he came out and said he was afraid of gay people a few years back, something else had to be brewing...

That being said, he has a right to say whatever the heck he wants... and I have the right to no longer pay for the tripe that he tries to push as entertainment... I was never a big fan before, so I'm not missing much... and I have the right, as a consumer, to express my opinion through both my wallet and by encouraging others to not support someone who holds beliefs that I find atrocious, offensive and out-of-date...

My two cents...

5. krhimself

krhimself New Member

I'm not arguing against the freedom of speech at any means. Still, it's obvious that some (if not all) of the things that Gibson spewed out were moronic, at best.

A few "gems" from the deputy report, and they don't include the whole anti-Semitic diatribe:
    "Gibson repeatedly threatened me, saying, "I'm going to f*** you. You're going to regret you ever did this to me."
    "Gibson almost continually threatened me, saying he 'owns Malibu.'"
    "While conducting an inventory search of Gibson's vehicle, I found EV-1, a 750ml bottle labelled 'Cazadores Tequila' that was approximately full of liquid contents."

Not to mention that he supposedly referred to a female deputy at the scene as "sugar t**s." Needless to say, one night of absolute madness might be enough to cost Gibson years of hard work and the reputation that he built up.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

If Gibson used the "N" word instead it would be the end of his career, but he will still make movies and make millions and millions of dollars.

7. pettyfog

Yeah.. there's acceptable PC and there's death knell PC.

And it aint the circumstances or the situation... it's the WORD or thought!

Unless it's a Liberal makes the gaffe.

Get over it.. the guy shows all the earmarks of being bi-polar

Well, the GOOD part of it is that it MIGHT open the eyes of some who think what hollywood celebs say about any issue should carry some weight.

I'm talking everyone from Barbra Steisand to Larry David and his wife.

Though how anyone who watched David's sit-coms and took it as him playing a fictional character instead of highlighting his OWN foibles, and yet pays attention to his politics just makes me shake my head.

We ALL know how utterly vacuous Seinfeld's characters were. I despise David's numbskull politics. I still watch Seinfeld and once in a while Davids show.

I dont switch channels when some Hollywood Liberal activist's movie comes on.. like they say; "It's just a role"
    - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -
    Gibson's just a guy. He's good at movies. Like most in LALA-Land, he needs some shrink-work. Period.

8. ickle_monk

ickle_monk New Member

Mel Gibson has always been a heart-throb of my mum, ive always told her that he's an anti-semite, she was always in denial, shes now given in.

im unfamilar with Larry David's 'foibles', care to enlighten me?

9. Hengist

Hengist New Member

At least Gibson has apologised to the Jews,albeit insincerely.
    Can't see him doing the same for the nation he really hates,
    the ENGLISH!

10. pettyfog

Ickle..."Passion" did NOT prove Gibson an anti-semite... though his father definitely was from all accounts.
    Hold your final decision for a few months, at least.

Larry David did the TV series Seinfeld.. I was under the impression it was shown over there.
    His HBO series, 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' in which he plays a self-absorbed, emotionally challenged boob.
    Considering the similarities between the two series' plot lines, have to assume they're pretty much autobiographical...ie; he sees and finds his own faults funny.

11. arwIII1970

arwIII1970 New Member

Gibson will be fine, nothing will happen.
    It will increase tickets to Apocolyptico.
    The guy brings home the bucks - and that's all that matters in Hwood.

12. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I liked the Passion...watched it one boxing day and vowed to go to mass every day for the next year. Of course I didn't, but it made me think about it.

However Mel has clearly done something very stupid and deserves all the flack he gets. Not very clever making anti-semetic remarks when you work in Hollywood, is it?

13. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

With all the money Mel makes why would he not have a driver? Not only did Gibson make anti-semetic remarkes he also was hammered.