Meet the New Boss

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, May 7, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've been over to the offal -- gawd that's a depressing way to spend 20 minutes -- to find out who the great unwashed are projecting as the next FFC [oops!!!] :oops: boss.

I've seen Ruud Gullit, Claudio Ranieri, Big Sam, Pardew, Curbishly, Billy Davies, Glen Hoddle, and several other names bandied about -- along with Lawrie Sanchez [that's how you spell it, GBFC].

So, who would you like to see take control of the team after we kick M'boro's butt? Who would you HATE to see take control?

Me? I like Pardew a lot. :D I like Sanchez and Gullit not at all. :cry:

2. jmh

jmh New Member

I wasn't aware the management of FUSA was up for grabs.

FFC, on the other hand...

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think Don just suffered from culture shock...

Here's another gem...

They's some rocket scientists over there, fer sher!

But... now his (Strachan's) name has apparently come up, that's the guy!

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I want Sanchez to remain in the job.

I'd have to think about the others but I can definatly say no to Pardew and Big Sam dosen't excite.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

The Wee Scottishman will stay put, me thinks.

As for the rest of that tosh, spare us all. Maybe Gullit, if not Sanchez. End of.

6. pettyfog

Then you may leave.
    :)

I was just thinking Strachan's who I wanted two years ago... and if he is willing to come on down, then why not!

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Because unlike Ferguson, he understands it can't get any better. It'd be like Arena leaving the Turbo Caffeine Drinks for Fulham. Oh wait, you alretty suggested that dintcha?

But hey, maybe Fergie heads north for a final hurrah, who knows???

8. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I want Sanchez to stay. He's made some good decisions the last few matches and with many players coming next year he's the man who can lead Fulham to another top 10 finish. He turned Northern Ireland from a minnow to a shark, why can't he do the same with Fulham?

9. Jacob

Jacob New Member

HA! He will have the entire squad on a diet of seaweed in no time!

Anyone who comes in needs to have some experience and MONEY to spend on some players. This will not be a quiet summer by far.

10. DCDave

DCDave Member

The feeling is that MAF might want a big name. How about Ranieri? I would think he would not take the job in the shadow of the team that fired him if he wasn't going to be given some resources. It might be fun to have him at the Cottage. It certainly would spice up the chelsea-Fulham rivalry.

What do you think of him as a manager?

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I thought he did a good job down the road. He kept improving team performance season-to-season. The biggest criticism he had was not leaving a winning lineup alone -- "Tinkerman" was his nickname -- but I think that's the way of it these days. See Benetiz at L'pool.

The thing is, like the Scum's current manager, he had a huge squad and a lot of transfer resources. I don't see him getting that in our part of SW6. It's an interesting suggestion, but I don't see him coming to Fulham.

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

I was surprised to see him listed in a few places as a possible Fulham manager, too. You would think a name like that could get a job at a club with a bigger budget and that he'd not want to join a neighboring club with the resources to compete at least somewaht with them.

There have been rumors that MAF wants to get a big name to run the club. What I'm hoping is that MAF wants a big-name manager enough that he pledges to significantly raise the transfer budget. He was spending pretty freely until Tigera made some really bad buys, then he seemed to lose faith in that approach. Maybe if he got a Raneri/Strachen/Pardew, he'd have faith in the manager to spend the money wisely. I never got the feeling he had that faith in CC (fair or not).

It reminds me of Mike Ilitch with the Tigers. When he bought the club int he early '90s, the Tigers actually had one of the biggest payrolls int he game, due to a lot of expensive veterans and no good young players. That expensive team eventually turned bad and Ilitch turned off the spigot for years, not having faith in his management to spend the money wisely. Only when the club got to be so bad, soon after a new mangement team was brought in, did he show the faith (desperation?) to spend some money (and it worked!).

13. pettyfog

I dont think you could ever fault CC on the player value for money aspect. sure he got a couple of duds, but who doesnt! {And no... elliot wasnt one of those, makes me want to strangle the simps on the offal}

The problem with cookie lies elsewhere... and it's NOt the quality of the players... considering all we really wanted and expected was consistent top ten.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's interesting; I have been making the Alan Trammell/CC equation for a while.

15. DCDave

DCDave Member

I wouldn't fault CC on the quality he got for the money he was given. I do think that MAF did not have the faith in him (fair or not) to give him the really big bucks to spend. Maybe after he thought that Tigera had burned him he would not have had faith in anybody. Maybe he was happy with CC being able to find the bargain playes to allow us to be in mid-table contention each year without having to spend really big money. <aybe he now realizes you can't keep walking that tightrope every year--that at some point, cutting it that close means that you might fall off and plunge into the CCC. Maybe he would have the faith in a Raneri or a Pardew if he brought him in now. I know what I'd advise him to do! :D

16. DCDave

DCDave Member

One more thing on Sanchez: I have always been very wary about keeping interim managers/GMs,/etc. on permanently. Because of the situation, the team could not go through a search of every possible good candidate during the season and therefore the interim person is often not necessarily the best candidate. It's ok for hte interim man to be a candidate, but nothing more than one of many.

Also, this is not like the situation when CC took over. CC was very successful in his interim managerial career, while despite Saturday's win, the same cannot be said in any way about Sanchez. Yes, we survive in the EPL, but it's not like we were in the drop zone when he took over.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I think we can get Ranieri as long as we spend some money to improve the team. I like him and think he can build this team into a top club in England and he could be the kind of manager that would let players know we are for real so maybe the would choose our team over other teams in England. Really though it does not matter if we do not spend like a Premiership team and sign quality players. We need to start spending the cash as other teams are spending much more than us and we are losing ground. We have a horrible defense and other than Mcbride there is nobody that can put the ball in the back of the net. If Ranieri took this job and got the funds then he would take us very far in the Premiership and Europe.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Of all the rumoured candidates for the full time job, I quite fancy Claude Puel, the current manager of Lille. For those who do not know, Lille is a small club in France that despite a tough season this campaign, has been one of the better French clubs in the last five seasons.

Puel has had to sell his best players most seasons and he still is able to unearth talent like few others can. While he is NOT the biggest name, he does bring with him credibility and I have been saying for quite some time that Fulham would be well served to look into the French league for quality players. Bringing in a manager like Puel who has experience with clubs on a tight budget might be a good answer to the problems Fulham has.

I like Lille. I like Puel and I think he would fit into what Fulham could becme if given the chance. Remember, Arsenal took a flier on an unknown Frenchman in Arsene Wenger ten seasons ago. Perhaps Puel is another like him. If he can find talent like Wenger can, Fulham could be in for some great years down the road.

19. BC

BC New Member

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the proposed candidates to make a sound judgment. However, I've liked Sanchez so far; he needs time to establish his mark on the team. He seems to have a good track record. I think he's a viable alternative if we can't land a bigger or better name.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I agree with Chicago Tom that Puel would be a coup as a signing and a huge improvement.

Why the dissent for Strachan? He's a good manager and his club, if they could've scored for him, should've put Milan out a couple of rounds ago in the Champions League. In any case, he's better than what is currently in the manager post. My question is why he would want to leave Celtic, and European football, for Fulham?