Me and Shelton Spike Lee Agree

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 2, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I been wanting to say it since "House of Payne".. and maybe I did.
    Tyler Perry shows are Old Tired Formula Amos and Andy. I dont like 'em, they're embarrassing.

Not that Amos and Andy deserves the vitriol.. it was groundbreaking at the time and didnt REALLY make buffoons of blacks, that was left for whoever cast Jimmie JJ Walker on 'good Times'

Dang I miss Bernie Mac
    Even Steve Harvey wasnt classic stereotype, except for the obligatory fat white funny chick

Here's a roundup of the classic black series...
    Whatta you think?
    {../colored??!}

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

psssssssssssssst, 'fog. You're NOT his target audience, and his target audience LOVES his stuff.

3. pettyfog

Welll.. DAMN whoever raised my 'awareness' to the hair trigger level!

Who IS his target audience? That brings up more questions, though.. doesnt it. Ah well, let it ride.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

psssssssssssssst, 'fog. I'M not his target audience either.

His target audience IS large enough and has enough disposable income to make him huge profits on all his movies, and he's got at least a couple of TV series on TBS, so his ratings must be good.

Although I've seen plenty of his promos [I watch a lot of TNT], I haven't watched any of his programs. I didn't see anything in the promos that even made me smile, but that's not unusual. The big ticket UPROARIOUS COMEDIES like "Big Bang Theory," "How I Met Your Mother," and "Two and a Half Men" never get a chuckle from me regardless of how hilarious the laugh track thinks they are. The only TV comedy I watch on a regular basis is "Desperate Housewives," and that's only because I have a friend in the cast.

Face it, given the success of "reality programming," and the bottom dropping out of standards of writing across television in general, the fact that NONE of the top comedy programs are funny isn't surprising. But ... they have an audience. Bill Engvall's programs have an audience. Tyler Perry's programs have an audience. I think most of those audiences are happy with their choices.

I look at it like beer. A ton of people think Coors Light [Tha Silver Bullet] is the greatest drink in the world. I think it's carbonated water that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, but as long as nobody is forcing me to drink it ... .

5. pettyfog

I like to occasionally watch those I highlighted, cause they DO have an occasional laff..

and Speaking of friends in the cast, my son and daughter-in-law are sched to appear as extras in a future episode of 'Breaking Bad'. She will be playing a Nurse -for sure, cause she is one- and he'll probably be playing a biker sitting in an ER waiting room.. cause he looks like one.
    I'll let you all know.
    Yep.. and it's fun to ridicule those who do.
    'XX'!!

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Is this friend Eva Longoria? If so, I'm sure you could hook it up.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, it's the guy who plays her husband.

Oh, I did remember that there actually IS one comedy that I watch regularly and look forward to: Psych.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I was gonna guess Ricardo Chavira. If it were Eva, you'd have said you were related. At least that's what about 1/2 the people here who claim to know her say.

Obviously people pay to see Tyler Perry's mass produced dreck, but I think that's more to do with him having made himself synonymous with the African-American market/genre by flooding the market. Kinda like James Patterson with fiction novels.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The sad thing [not really] is that a gal who used to do theater with the two female members of the band is getting a lot of extra time these days. As a result, we're sitting through dreck-a-mundo just to get a glance at her. If she only knew that we cared for her enough to watch an entire episode of "How I Met Your Mother."

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I can relate, except it's a not a tv show. Rather a t&b show. :lol:

11. pettyfog

UPDATE:
    Actually saw a 'House of Payne' episode I liked. Focused on the junior generation; not on Chief Payne, an idiot who never would be given a command even in Atlanta.

BUT.. watching Bernie Mac.. STILL the cream of all black* sitcom, even with Cosby in the mix.
    Damn too bad he died!

* Hell... good as ANY, no matter race or creed.

12. pettyfog

MitM

Malcolm in the Middle bracketed by Bernie MAc..
    Mmm.. mmmmm...mmmm!

Why?
    'cause I'm ill. Slight fever, sour stomach and the wind's blowing 40 mph outside

Got to finally watch the final two episodes of MitM.. and they are classic.
    Go to Imdb and look at the episode list.. think they are repeated thurs am.

Except that the final scene is the same cliche as any other horror genre.. Those who havent seen it but have seen the series SHOULD be able to guess.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Sorry you're not feeling well 'Fog. Hope you get over quick.

I love Malcolm in the Middle - reminds me of my childhood. Lately I've been watching "My Name is Earl" reruns. There is one particular xmas epidsode that I think is the funniest xmas show I have ever seen. It should become an xmas classic.