Marsh stabs us in the back

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by f'lum, Oct 26, 2007.

1. f'lum

f'lum New Member

check this out, it's disgusting to see an ex-player of ours can come out with this rubbish

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

These are the same arguments that were used to reduce the league from 22 to 18. The England team still hasn't improved, and the competition in the league has gotten weaker with only three clubs having won the title with the exception of on season. And since when are only the "weaker" clubs singing foreign talent. How many England players in Arsenal's 11, Man U's, Chelsea's?

Marsh has always been a flake, though; so what do you expect?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Marsh is Right, objectively.

Wait a minute... suppose he hadnt named Fulham as one of the four, Where would the outrage be?

My guess... some of us would say, 'Dead On, Rodney!' And we would point to the dilution of talent, and ridiculous wage/trade prices for journeymen.

And we would look to Fulham to get better for it if we were fortunate enough to be one of the 16.

4. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

RE: Marsh is Right, objectively.

Some of what he say's is True, Fulham hasn't won anything since being in the Premiership, winning promotion from lower division is an achievement but it's soon forgotton he can say what he likes, we all know it's not going to happen (This year anyway) and if it does change it probable wont be the same four teams at the bottom when it does. lets also hope that some players might read into something here and pull Fulham away from the bottom four and tell Rodney what he can do with he's Suggestion.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

It's a ridiculous idea not because he named Fulham but because he thinks it will help England's national team. That's just a not-so-sly way of blaming the Americans, the Irish, and "foreigners" for the English side woes. Nevermind the fact that the top EPL teams are loaded with foreigners. Like Don said, Arsenal essentially's got one English player on their first team, half their squad is French. The French and Brazilians seem to do pretty well in international competition despite their leagues level of competition. It's just a stupid idea and maybe therein lies the problem with the English national team.

6. pettyfog

Hey... it's NOT the fault of the Football Leagues that there's a dearth of good English players.

I can point to numerous socio-cultural-political reasons, but I wont..not here.. I'll just tell you to read down a half-inch!

7. Martin-in-Nashville

I have to say that the Football League should take some responsablity Pettyfog, since in the 60's and 70's clubs were only allowed to field Two Foreign players since Murdoch introduced SKY TV and money started appearing an influx of Foriegn players started to appear and without the Greed of Money and most sports are grossly overpayed.
    The Football League could have said "No" and stopped allowing Foreign players into the Football League and has killed off Home bred players coming through the ranks, most clubs always had young british Players from Youth age upto making the First team. at some stage that's all gone astray with Foreign players now taking their place, there is hardly any Youth players making the grade any more into the First teams.
    Top clubs Like Arsenal Liverpool and Manchester United still have academy's going for Youths but even those are rearly making it into the First team.

8. pettyfog

And why arent they making into the first team.... Is it because they dont have enough Wayne Rooneys to look up to?

Sorry.. I dont buy it. At least not at the club level.

9. Martin-in-Nashville

I'm sorry I dont rate Wayne Rooney anyway so that's a no brainer for me, but there is No Youths that are Bristish making it to the Top level any more,you tell me WHY?

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the thing: in the 60s and 70s there weren't any Asian, African, or North American players in Europe. While this was the situation, European players -- including the British -- looked pretty good. Once people began tapping into these previously ignorned sources of talent, two things happened:

1. Fewer Europeans appeared in teams based in their own countries AND
    2. La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Der Bundesliga, and the EPL -- GOT BETTER.

Martin, the same thing has happened here in MLB and the NBA. Foreign-born and based players abound in both leagues and the effect is the same -- fewer native-born Americans, and BETTER PLAY.

It's the way of the world. Restricting the number of foreign players in an EPL side will make a ton of current EPL talent available to other European leagues. Result? EPL isn't as good, and the others will get better. And nothing will happen to the quality of the national team?

11. Martin-in-Nashville

I understand what your saying Don, it all has got better but at a price. All Major sports including Football MLB and the NBA is controlled by what.......MONEY and Greed.

I loved the football I watched in the 60's and 70's I really dont enjoy it so much today, for me MONEY has ruined the game I loved.

Another thing Don Clubs didn't Ignore those players they were restricted from fielding more than two players so it would be foolish to have had a sqaud of more than 3 or 4 if you could only field 2.

12. BC

BC New Member

Two words: Salary cap.

Five more: Micah Richards and Gareth Barry

Forgive the cheekiness, it's late and I'm tired :)

13. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The English are absolutely stupid when it comes to their national team. Some how, it's their birth right, to always be the best. Someone needs to tell them that Spain hasn't ever won the World Cup and that it hasn't been for a lack of talent.

International football is more competitive and will continue to be and England will just have to live with not being the best more often than not. Lots of people play football, and lots of people are good. Get educated England.

14. Martin-in-Nashville

Hey I resent that remark, and you have the cheek to say the English always has to be the best

Take at look at your own country buddy and stick it where the sun dont shine

15. Clevelandmo

Martin, cant say that I agree with you. Most Americans dont give a damn about international competitions in team sports whether it's soccer, basketball, tennis, golf, baseball, etc.

16. Martin-in-Nashville

You got to be kidding me, you send NBA players to the olympics but dont win a gold, you dont seem to compete in the Ryder cup but you think your the best, The Davis cup is all about sending the best, soccer well we wont even go there. cos you cant win the World cup, Baseball well there's not really any International games you could compete in so what you saying Clevelandmo?

17. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Most American sports don't encourage international play! I disagree with Lyle, most Englishmen want a strong Englidh team, but not many consider it a birth right, we have always been a top teir team and need to continue to look at ways to improve to stay in a more competitive environment.

As for Rodders, I think that he is ill advided to name teams, as they should stay and play on merit, the bottom four can go down if he likes, but I don't think he can choose them!

Fulham for one, usually gives a good account againts the better teams and slip up against the dross so this rule may help us! By Rodders metrics Wimbledon would not have been allowed into the prem and not won one of the most amazing cup finals in recent history!

18. Clevelandmo

Martin, my point was that England cares about international play while the "average" American doesnt. They dont care about the embarassment that was the US olympic basketball team. They dont care about the Ryder cup or the Davis cup. Most havent even heard of the last two.

I'm not saying the US doesnt compete in those; I'm just saying, most Americans dont care the way England cares. Our sports are not structured on an international scale. I wish Americans did care the way the English and other countries do about international play, but they dont. They may cheer for the US, but if they lose, it just confirms for the average American that it doesnt really matter or count. This is not true for traditional Olympic events but it's true for Olympic basketball.

Go to a kids soccer practice somewhere in the US. You'll see kids in England, Brazil, Argentina, and Italy jerseys but you'll be pretty hard pressed to find one wearing a USA jersey (my children being the exception). It's not because the US is not as successful as those countries in soccer. It's because it doesnt occur to Americans to choose a team based upon nationality.

It sounds like you live in the US but are English. I'm surprised that you havent noticed this difference. I lived in England and that is when I noticed it. Despite the fact that I was a competitive tennis player all my life, I never followed or cared about the Davis cup. I didnt root for US tennis players, I rooted for the ones that I liked and I didnt follow or care about the Davis cup at all.

19. Lyle

Lyle New Member

This has nothing to do with politics, but everything to do with English ignorance about international football. There are simply larger countries out there who also play football, and play it well. It is simply a numbers game, and England's number isn't going to be called all that often.

Like I wrote, Spain hasn't ever won the World Cup. Does that mean there is something wrong with Spain or Spanish football? NO!!!!

20. Martin-in-Nashville

It's called PASSION Lyle something surely lacking in the USA I think for the average American?

Football yes FOOTBALL Not Soccer FOOTBALL started where Lyle?

Quote from Wikipedia

Passion (from the Latin patior, meaning to suffer or to endure) is an emotion of feeling very strongly about a subject.