Male synchronized swimming??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by krhimself, Aug 8, 2006.

1. krhimself

krhimself New Member

No doubt inspired by Waterboys, a Japanese comedy about a male synchro team from a while ago:

(taken from Foxsports)

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Isnt pointing out it was based in San Fran redundant?

Where else...!

It's a travesty that synchronized swimming was ever allowed into the Olympics... but how could they refuse that 'sport' after they allowed choreographed ribbon-waving?!!!!

For you that wonder why I sometimes b@#$#ch over seemingly small things, this is just another little bit of evidence of the fall of western civilization.

Funny{?}, snarky in nature .. and true.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Let me get this straight, male-syncrhronized swimming and choreographed ribbon waving shows the end of western civilization is coming? Ummm...are you sure?

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Male synchronized swimming??

Hey now my ma was a state champion synchronized swimmer albeit she’s not a male. This is one of the only sports in which Canada doesn’t underachieve in so I quite like it :D

5. pettyfog

Re: RE: Male synchronized swimming??

No.... Gymnastics IS a sport; they put something in with it having music and twirling ribbons, whether that is really sport or dance is debatable..

Thus, having allowed the 'wood-nymph', they had to let in the 'water sprite team'.

Skill involved - yes
    talent needed - yes
    sport - no

But it allows 'everyone' to participate, right?

6. rumstove

rumstove New Member

RE: Re: RE: Male synchronized swimming??

Along the topic of 'sport' or 'not a sport' I hate how some people and some sites (ESPN) consider poker as a sport. I guess sitting at a table with cards in hand, wearing sunglasses in a dimly-lit room, all while sipping a beverage is a sport...whatevs.

7. pettyfog

Heh... I'm not the only one, then.

It's a 'game'... doesnt mean it's a sport.

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

ESPN makes a big deal about all these niche "sports" like poker and eating all the time. Next thing you know, darts will pop up from time to time on their schedule. Oh, wait...

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Okay, this question was raised during a lunch debate with co-workers. We came to the conclusion that ESPN shows poker, eating contests, and etc. on its network is because it is considered entertainment (debatable by some, of course).

ESPN stands for Entertainment SPorts Network. They are not defining what is and isn't a sport--just showing what people will watch.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That must have been some kind of debate. Hard at work in side the Beltway these days, they must be. :3d tongue: