Local or National?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Oct 11, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the past week, the price of regular unleaded at our neighborhood Valero station has dropped 44 cents! The Chevron station down the way has dropped about 50 cents. Even the perpetually empy Shell station has dropped down a bunch [even though, as usual, they're about 20 cents higher than everyone else]. I'm not sure if this is a national or regional trend, or whether we're having a good old Clinton-era gas war.

So, have prices dropped dramatically in your neighbord during the last week?

From what to what? [In our case, from $3.29 to $2.85]

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Nothing to do with Bill Clinton, pure economics.

Crude closed at 77.70 on Friday. That's why. We are at $3.29 - $3.59, here in SacTown. Northern California is always one of the highest in the country, even though we have several refineries in the East Bay. We pay more cause wages are generally higher. Where's the fairness in that? :)

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think national, futures have been dropping I believe.

I dont fill my car that often so I cant say the drop in the last week, but it's now around $2.99/gal and a few weeks ago I think it was in the $3.50 - $3.60/gal range.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Prices here have dropped from the $3.60's last weekend to $2.99 this morning.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah. HatterMom filled up at $3.24 and I filled up the next day at $3.19. Glad to hear it's a national trend.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I found it yesterday at $2.87/ gallon yesterday (Clevelanders, East Siders, Mo, E 185th at I-90). And it dropped a few more cents today. Still is a blatant ripoff though.

7. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

They might be selling gas with no ethanol, that's generally the case around here when you see a station consistently selling gas for 10-20 cents more. I've actually noticed a considerable increase in gas mileage with this stuff (usually between 10-12%), so it's worth it.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Saw it down to $2.67/gal on Saturday here in SA. This has got to be the biggest drop in a 1-2 week period ever (helped by the inflated prices we'd reached).

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ah... that USED to be the case. And indeed buying ethanol-free gas does improve your mileage up to 10%, esp in older cars. But that SHOULD be 'old news' if you read your grizzled old 'foremost authority' rather than pay attention to the gullible perhaps -hypocritical- media.

In MOST states, however adulteration of your gas need not be reported on the pump. You have to call the brand's distribution center. Good luck with getting an honest answer.

Cheapest in my area: Speedway @ $2.59. There's cheaper but I only report Speedway. Sorry to disabuse you 'it's all gas' believers but Brand DOES matter, long term. If you can buy Speedway or Marathon, you'll never need fuel additives.

And you'll never fry your catalytic converter as I did once when I bought Citgo at a local 'mom&pop'.