Ligue 1/Boca Question

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by LaxAttack, Jun 21, 2008.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure out how talented Ligue 1 is compared to other European leagues.

I know Serie A, La Liga and EPL are sort of the top tier of leagues.

What comes next, this is sort of my guess (out of the leagues I am the most familiar with:

Tier 2
    Bundesliga
    Ligue 1
    Portuguese Liga

Tier 3
    Dutch Eredivisie
    Belgian First Division

Can someone help me out here?

2. Silas

Silas New Member

I would put it, now keep in mind this is my opinion, below the Bundesliga and slightly above the Portuguese Liga and Eredivisie.

Obviously Serie A, EPL, and La Liga go in some sort of order 1-3. I think Bundesliga is slightly behind in fourth, but I think it takes a step down from there to that second tier, and in that tier lies Ligue 1, Portuguese Liga, Eredivisie, etc.

Also, Beligian First Division is more than just a tier behind Ligue 1, don't forget the Turkish League and the the Russian League. Of course there are also those top heavy leagues like the Scottish Premier League ...

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I disagree. I think that too much is made of the success in Europe of the top 4 teams. I think that the Italian league is probably better balanced than the EPL. The EPL is getting closer and closer to the Scottish league which is Celtic, Rangers, and a bunch of other teams necessary to make up a league. England is ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea. Spurs, Everton, and Newcastle should also be up there, but really, it's only those four that make any of the headlines. If you really want to see who's the better league, then arrange for a competition for those teams who finished one and two positions above relegation. I think the EPL might do well against Holland, Scotland, and Denmark, but really struggle against everyone else.

But that's just me.

5. Volzenthaler

Volzenthaler New Member

my Elite Eight:
    1. EPL (England)
    2. La Liga (Spain)
    3. Serie A (Italy)
    4. Bundesliga (Germany)
    5. Ligue 1 (France)
    6. BWINLIGA (Portugal)
    7. Eredivisie (Netherlands)
    8. SPL (Scotland)

None of the other leagues really count after these eight. The Turkish league is the only one besides these to have any major squads (Fenerbache and Galatasary).

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The Russian League (Zenit, CSKA Moscow) has some decent sides, too.