LighterSide: Partially nude teacher...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 8, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Knox County Schools security officials have turned over partially nude Internet pictures of an elementary school teacher to the district’s human resources administrators.
    FACT IS it SHould have read Non-Nude as none of the spurious bits are shown.
    Read the whole thing and the comments.

I'm torn.

If it was like when Don and I were kids and the bulk of teachers reallly cared more about educating than their employee rights and paychecks, then I'd say dump her out of the school system.

As it IS she should be evaluated on her performance and if her kids are showing they are LEARNING, then the response should be minimal.

I REALLY hate situational ethics but sometimes we are stuck with them.

Perhaps the answer would be to go to Park School in Baltimore MD and ask the board of trustees what THEY would do.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And that should read: "internet photos of a partially nude elementary school teacher." I don't believe I've ever seen a photograph with clothing on. Perhaps the writer could have spent more time in school studying something other than his/her teachers/classmates.

Moving right along.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Back off the teachers!

That is so easy to say. It’s the whole "the longer they've been gone the better they were" thing. I'm more than pleased with the vast majority of my teachers from conventional middle school to conventional high school to charter high school and now community college and their concern for my personal wellbeing and the wellbeing of my education. I sincerely doubt that had I had teachers from the 30's,50's, or 70's that I'd somehow be better off.

Of course they care about their employee rights and paychecks! Everyone regardless of the career field cares about those essentials. It is highly unrealistic to expect otherwise.

It’s to damn easy to throw teachers under the bus. Don't fall for it! I have more respect for people in that profession than I do for most any other, EVEN if they have the occasional gall to make a big fuss over decent compensation and job security.

4. pettyfog

RE: Back off the teachers!

Look, I didnt mean to say the differences are stark between the generations, but there ARE more strident voices in 'professionalism' there's more and more teachers who seemingly cant do anythng else but graduate into some administrative position, and I can safely say they have a damn sight improvement on their health care and pensions over most public service employees.

The teachers in my kids' district were pretty good but there was more pettiness and backbiting in just the 15 years since my mother stopped teaching and my kids graduated. That was verified by teacher friends.

We had our bad apples in the fifties, too. Some of them even hitting on the students. Just that MOST of them felt they were there to teach, we were there to learn. And almost all cared that the kids did just that.

Now back to the subject: Do you think the teacher should be harshly penalized on just this evidence?

I'd have to submit that some of the comments on there point out the reason why her dismissal would be justified.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Back off the teachers!

Normally I couldn't give a rats ass about semi-nude photo's, your own time is your own time. But given the profession and what not it would substantially undermine the ability to perform her job. Had internet photos of the "hot teacher" at my Jr. High been found I can just imagine the mayhem. Respect would not be easy for her to come by to say the least!

I really don't know the appropriate measure.

6. pettyfog

Well, here's some good news about teachers and their mandate:
    US students score sweeping gains on tests
    Did no child left help?
    But..
    It occurs to me that the achievements in the lower grades are key in this program but if there is increased pressure to phase out federal involvement in local schools at all, the compromise might be to establish a comprehensive pre-school curricula.
    It would be based on the premise that being curious and discovering things is FUN. Yeah, I know 'Reading is FUN-damental' has been around a long time, but it quickly became just a slogan.