Labor Day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Sep 1, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

... and, if I'm not mistaken, August Bank Holiday Monday as well.

How are you spending it?

Our usual BBQ/swim party will be sparsely attended -- illness is the biggest reason, but all four band members will be here. It 0623 and I'm about to put the ribs on. Flag will be up as soon as the sun is. The sun should shine nicely here in SoTex. Hope it's good out your way.

Have a safe and happy day. Count your blessings one and all!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

HEh... good for you, Don. Burn one for me.

Someone {besides my dad} said: "There is no task so lowly that it's not worth doing well!" For those guys and gals who make life possible, and take pride in their jobs well done - Here's to Ya!

From a guy who's done everything from shovel pig poop as a kid, to presenting a high level project to Ivy League lawyers in a 5th ave boardroom, to snaking a clogged toilet, I can say that the above sentiment is 100% correct...

...well, maybe NOT so much snaking the toilet. But finding the problem that's causing the clogging and making sure you dont have to do it again.... THAT's Satisfaction.

But, from a guy who also has carried 4 different union cards, if you give up your potential for a fat contract-guaranteed paycheck, dont complain to me when your company goes belly-up under the burden of your ambitious union masters. See that your union does the job it was originally created to do.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I've had most of my Labor Day fun already in absolutely perfect weather. We had friends in from California who have two boys around the same age as ours and they had a blast together. I also took a wee bit of satisfaction from hearing our friends talk about how they wish they could live here (Cleveland - a best kept secret for raising a family).

We went to an Indians game yesterday and were treated to the Blue Angels buzzing the field. Truly awesome - they got way more applause & cheering than the baseball.

Today one boy is going fishing and one is going to the air show for more Blue Angels. I will be enjoying my last day of freedom for a long long time as tomorrow I start back to work. I had been doing some consulting for the last year but it was very flexible in that I could take a day off whenever I wanted. Tomorrow I start a permanent position with very little vacation. I'm regretting it a little bit already.

I hope you all have a great day! Here's to my last day of freedom.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

right back atcha, Mo. Hope you won't be too tired to post and/or drop into the match day chatroom!

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Its a beautiful day here in Bmore, and the lady is back from Seattle so its off to a park in Western Maryland to soak up the (last remaining) farm land and rolling hills.

As for someone full being able to celebrate their first Labor Day (first job, and all), I never really realized how clutch a holiday it is -- August drags and Halloween is up next!

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

We are going to grill out this afternoon. After that we are going to goof-off with the kids by taking them to play some minature golf or bowling and top the evening off with a soccer match at my alma mater.