La Liga: Barcelona, Real Madrid or Sevilla

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Team_of_McBrides, Jun 9, 2007.

?

Who will win La Liga?

1. Real Madrid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Barcelona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sevilla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

As La Liga's season comes to a close, who do you believe will claim the coveted league title?

Both Barcelona and Real Madrid went behind to their respective opponents today and came back to equalize. Messi even went on to further mimic Maradona by using his hand to score a goal and Ruud decided to save his side in late fashion scoring in the 90th minute.

Sevilla failed to capitalize on the slip up by Barcelona and Real Madrid by drawing with Mallorca. They are the outside choice to win La Liga.

Going into the final fixtures:

Sevilla hosts Villareal

Real Madrid hosts Mallocra

Gimnastic hosts Barcelona

So who is it going to be...

Barcelona 73 pts (41)

Real Madrid 73 pts (24)

Sevilla 71 pts (30)

(Goal Differential)

Thoughts?

2. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Barca is the easy money due to the goal differential, and Barca has the easier of the fixtures, but I voted for Real Madrid because I like them better :)

3. Team_of_McBrides

KF...the poll question wasn't who you wanted to win, it was who you thought would win.

No worries though, you visited the chat room during the USMNT match today.

Barcelona is the clear favorite in this case. Mallocra held Sevilla who have a potent attack today, but I doubt they will be able to do so against Real Madrid. Madrid must hope that Barcelona trips at the finish line.

4. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

You mean my feelings don't influence the matches??? Ah well, I actually do harbor an irrational belief, but a belief all the same, that Barca will trip at the finish line, as you put it.

5. Team_of_McBrides

So, Barcelona will faulter at the finish line due to KF's overwhelming feelings in favor of Real Madrid therefore giving Beckham his first piece of silverware with the los galacticos.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Madrid is in the lead because La Liga uses head to head records before resorting to goal differential. As Madrid holds the head to head edge over Barca, they are technically in first right now. With both Barca and Madrid having relatively easy matches next week, I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish the season level on points and Madrid winning the title.

7. Team_of_McBrides

Oh...I completely forgot about that. True so Real is the favorites going into the final fixture.

Thanks for clearing that up nevzter.

Learn something new everyday. (or remember in this case)

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Well, everyone has been talking about Messi being the reincarnation of Maradona. I guess in another 15 years he'll be a fat drunk as well.

As long as Argentina gets another World Cup trophy out of it, they won't care.

10. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

In Rugby there is a citing rule that allows the opposition coach to cite a player for dangerous/violent or unsporting play. It is used with respect and coaches think long and hard before citing a player. Cited players can get huge bans if they are found guilty.

I have long adovocated citing in football for foul play, and unsporting behavoiur - especially diving and steeling goals. If it was available it may just make people like Messi think twice before being a filthy cheat. Come on Madrid.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The problem is that teams like Baca, Real, AC Milan and others are not only bigger than their leagues, they're bigger than EUFA and maybe even FIFA. EUFA and FIFA are so weak that they continually ignore physically dangerous behavior that isn't cited by referees as they did when, in the celbrations of a USA goal over Mexico, the World Cup Hero Mexican Goalie tried to break Eddie Johnson's leg. The ref was looking elsewhere so there was no immediate red card, and only Eric Wynalda made a fuss about it, but nothing was done and will be done because the supervisory bodies are so incredibly timid and weak.

When measured against events like this, yet another big club player taking advantage of playing for a big club doesn't cause a ripple.

12. Team_of_McBrides

GBF...never heard of the "citing rule" before, but I would be interested to find out more about it. If you have a link post it. I believe a rule like that would assuredly clean up some diving or intentional hand balls.

UEFA and FIFA are a joke in terms of their power. The real power is held by the G14. That is why UEFA and FIFA have been working so hard to have the G14 alliance broken. IMO, UEFA and FIFA lack a back bone when true punishment needs to be dealt...UEFA made a statement about Liverpool having the worst fans in Europe and only two days later retracted their statement in the press. (sorry for the liverpool refrence) The worst part about these governing bodies is they will never admit their own faults and it hampers the game of football.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Hi TOC,

I cannot find and example of rules for citing as they differ between competitions, but the upshot is, that a play can be cited by the oposition or by a match official, after the even for actions that bring the game into disripute, for example on review, a referee who gave a yellow card can cite a player for a greater punishment. Rugby is a different game to football and the outright cheating that goes on in football is mostly absent from rugby, so the rules would need to reflect this, but I strongly believe that it would improve the game.

14. Team_of_McBrides

With weak governing bodies like UEFA and FIFA not having really all that much say on the game of football at all, I don't see any changes happening for quite some time. G14 has the majority of power in the world of football.

Thanks for bringing up the citing rule. I've never heard of it and it seems like a fantastic idea. Leave it to the oversized rugby players and officials to come up with a quality rule like that.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Agree. That, and replay.

16. Team_of_McBrides

PCB...you are up for the replay? I think it would slow the matches down, but in terms of catching offsides, hand balls and fouls it may be worth it.

Has their been much talk of initiating instant replay?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's some talk about goalline technology to determine whether or not a goal gets in -- mostly as a reaction to the Roy Carroll Show a few years back. But I don't want anything like reviewing offsides or stuff like that. I don't want the flow stopped.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Goal Line technology could of aided in clearing up the Luis Garcia goal of the CL semi final v. Chelsea. Finally shut Mourinho up.

Wouldn't be opposed to that at all. Think it is a great idea.

19. Team_of_McBrides

Real Madrid pull off the victory in dramatic fashion coming from behind to defeat Mallocra 3-1. Reyes came up big for los blancos and Beckham gets to raise his first piece of silverware with Real Madrid.

Glad Beckham has finally won a meaningful trophy for galacticos, but I still believe Barcelona are the better side.